• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice on new jeep

TNScrambler

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a '88 Wagoneer Limited with 4.0/aw4/242 it says its got 200k on the odomiter, but its not currently working, so I don't know really how many miles???

Its got a RE 5.5 in kit with full rear leafs hd shackles 3/4 in spacer in front adj. upper and lower control arms, and an RE adjustable track bar and hd bracket. It has brand new 31x10.50 BFG Mud KMs on it with stock wheels. And a optima yellow top battery.

It needed a new exhaust manifold (which I put on today) a new front driveshaft (will be shortened on tuesday), transfer case shifter linkage, and a new air box and intake tube (need to hit the junk yards)

the cracked manifold was making it run very rich (I believe) and fouled out the plugs, I replaced them with the next hotest range AC Delco plug....this made it run 100% better then I when I drove it home with the bad manifold.

There are also, so cooling issues I need to fix (got another thread going in OEM Tech).

So, did I do alright on the deal at an $800 purchase price?
My plans are for it be a cheap play toy....Is the D35 rear a c-clip axle? Will it survive the 31's if I weld it? Any tips/sugestions from other more experienced XJers?

Thanks,
Justin Ray

An '88 Wagoneer Limited that runs is a bargain at $800.

In 1988 the Dana 35 was a non c-clip axle. Dunno about the Lincoln locker, but I run my '88 MJ with a TrueTrac and 31s.

Cooling? You need a radiator. If it's the original, you're beyond overdue.

As to mileage, my original '88 XJ is at 242,000 and counting

That's definately a good deal... especially if it has wood grain trim, that stuff's the shizzle. :)

I think you'll be ok with the D35 and 31's if you don't hammer down on the throttle. However, welding it will probably do it in... Had a friend running a d35 on 33's, broke a spider gear so he welded everything together, then promptly broke an axle shaft about 24 hours later attempting the same obstacle that broke the spider gears the first time. :)

TNScrambler said:
what are the differences in width of an Explorer 8.8 verses the stock d35? Seems as though it would be a simple swap for more beef.

Justin

the 8.8 out of the explorer is 58 3/4" wide vs the D35 60" wide... It is the nice upgrade to the rear end if you don't want to swap the XJ D44 in it. Also why do you need to shorten the front driveshaft? I would think with the lift it needs to be lengthened...

Scott.

Clean-RC said:
the 8.8 out of the explorer is 58 3/4" wide vs the D35 60" wide... It is the nice upgrade to the rear end if you don't want to swap the XJ D44 in it. Also why do you need to shorten the front driveshaft? I would think with the lift it needs to be lengthened...

Scott.

Should have clarified....it didn't come with a front shaft, I have one out of a TJ with good cj and slip, but its too long, have to have it shortened to fit in the xj....sorry

Justin

Yep, good find...even if it craps out shortly, you could part it out & make money.

The 8.8 needs a bit of parts/labor to fit under an XJ, where an XJ D44 or 29spl 8.25 bolts right in :dunno: depends what your budget is. (44 parts are probably the cheapest of the 3)

Agree with Eagle on the radiator thing... 87-90 XJs can be buggers to get the cooling right with. (I'd advise biting the bullet & replace hoses, pump, tstat, radiator, bottle/cap (or convert to open system) I'd also get a remote tranny cooler & filter...take the ATF out of the radiator and it ought to be much more happy.

Back