• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic Gearbox Question

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Further to the subject, the 4 speed automatic gearbox in my '93 2-door Cherokee Sport has just started to jump out of gear when I have to either brake hard @ an intersection or to just coast to a stop when the engine and trans have not warmed up (i.e: after only have been running for a couple of minutes). After the engine builds up to it's normal operating temp, everything seems ok.

However, just last night while driving home from work on I-95, while doing about 60 mph, the gearbox downshifted from top gear to third, then back to top gear - twice. After that, it just settled back into top gear and was fine for the duration of the trip back home. FWIW, the pressure of my foot on the accelerator was the same while this happened.

I have checked the gearbox fluid and had to add some fluid to it, b/c to my eyes, the dip stick read that it needed filling up - mind you, it was hard to judge the actual level b/c the colour of the dip stick is kind of a flat silver, and even in bright daylight, it's hard to get an accurate reading.

Additionally, I did check the fluid level with the engine @ operating temp, and the gear lever in Park.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be ? And if so, what it is an approx. price to get it fixed, b/c unfortunately, I do not have the tools nor workspace to do the job myself.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

B Rgds,

Quarterwave

On the older XJs the TPS on the throttle body sends signals to both the engine and tranny computers.

If an otherwise healthy combo started going wierd, I'd look there first.

If you haven't changed the tranny fluid lately, might be time to do that, and it won't hurt anything, but to me your symptoms sound electronic.

Back