• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrain removal

gator_grabber

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to remove the complete powertrain (engine, tranny, transfer case) all at once? I've pulled engines out of these things many times, but never attempted to do the whole stack at one time. The vehicle is a rolled 1999 XJ with a 4.0, AW-4 and 242. Since the body is trashed, I don't have to worry about "scratching" it. :D
Thanks!

Last edited:
I just did one, wasn´t really hard, once you get the grill, radiator, wiring and front clip off. Took the starter, intake and exhast manifold off also, along with all the normal stuff. Ran a strap around the motor as close to the bell housing as possible and a short chain, from the long stud, at the front top of the head, by the valve cover, kind of a three point harness type thing, that came together over the number 5-6 cylinder, tried a couple of lift spots on the chain, until I got the right tilt. Unbolted the mounts from the frame, lowered the cross member slowly,with a jack. I drained all the oils/fluids before starting.
Only damage done was a slight bend/bow in the bell housing cover.

Great, this was just the info I was looking for. I found out a long time ago that taking the nose off sure reduces the drama, but I wasn't sure if the whole mess could be balanced. Let the games begin! :viking:

Success! For those of you who try this at home, aim to have your lift (balance) point directly above the #5 spark plug. If you run your chain from the rear head stud (where the ground is attached) across the valve cover, there's a convenient bolt boss behind and below the #4 plug.This allows the transfer case to rest slightly lower than the front of the engine, making removal go all the easier. Thanks again! :cheers:

Back