• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm in a small Jam, A/C belt Question

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
My AC compressor and Clutch have messed up pretty bad and I need my Jeep to get home and the quickest any store near me can haver the parts is 3 days. So does anyone know if the serpintine belt for the non AC equipED Jeep will fit mine if I just don't loop it over the AC pump? This is a on a 98 XJ witht he 4.0

Moto said:
My AC compressor and Clutch have messed up pretty bad and I need my Jeep to get home and the quickest any store near me can haver the parts is 3 days. So does anyone know if the serpintine belt for the non AC equipED Jeep will fit mine if I just don't loop it over the AC pump? This is a on a 98 XJ witht he 4.0

Not sure but we have two 2.5 TJ's, one with a/c and one without A/C there is not extra idler pully or anything, just a shorter belt. I would think the 4.0 is the same seeing as how it's just 2 cylinders more than the 2.5L Check the part numbers for the 2.5 and 4.0 with and w/o AC, they may be the same. One of those things I should have noticed when I did our a couple of months ago..

Well I just checked my goodyear catalog, and it says that both the 2.5 non A/C TJ is the same as the non A/C 4.0 XJ. BUt the 4.0 XJ with A/C has a different belt listing than a 4.0 TJ with ac. So i'm not sure if it will fit, unfortuately I don't have any belts for the non A/C XJ. I was looking to see if anyone knew for sure off hand so I wouldnt have to buy abelt only to find out that it doesnt fit.

OK, I did this but I forgot the size of the belt. The one withouth the AC has a shorter belt than you will need. It took 4 trip to the auto parts store to finaly get it right. There is one problem though. When you get it all belted up, your mechanical fan will be spinning backwards... We had to drive ours like that 4 a while here in Phoenix, Arizona and it didn't overheat, but the jeep I did it on was a 94 with dummy lights so I couldn't tell if it was running hotter...

Ii don't know if it changed in 98, but on earlier models, the non a/c 4.0 has an idler in place of the compressor, so the belt routing is the same. The idler is an inch smaller in diameter than that of the compressor, but it's also mounted an inch higher above the fan shaft. If the belt is a different length, it won't be very different - not enough shorter to avoid the pump altogether.

Back