• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing shocks

Canoman

NAXJA Forum User
How tight should I tighten the nut that goes on the top of the shocks inside the engine compartment? Do I need to torque them with a torque wrench?

Thanks in advance.

Uhm... there probably isn't a torq rating for them...but I tighten them tighter than finger tight. Kinda funny you ask this because I had a buddy that lost one of the nuts on the top of his front shock and the shock was going ape sh*t bouncin around under there.

So uh yea, pretty tight, you don't want those suckers comin loose.

The service manual for a 92 recommends 8 ft#

The rule of thumb for rubber is to tighten until the bushing squishes out to the same diameter as the big washer on top of it. The times I've done poly bushings, I don't think I got it tight enough to do that. I stopped when I couldn't keep the shock from turning anymore no matter how I tried to hold it. It has worked so far.

Ok, thanks for those tips... Now I'm stuck. I can only get one of the top bolts on the right rear shock loose. The shock and the tail pipe are just in the right spot so that they block the wrench/socket from turning. Any idea what I can do here? I got one of them loose, but not both. Maybe I need some penetrating lubricant or something.

Canoman said:
Ok, thanks for those tips... Now I'm stuck. I can only get one of the top bolts on the right rear shock loose. The shock and the tail pipe are just in the right spot so that they block the wrench/socket from turning. Any idea what I can do here? I got one of them loose, but not both. Maybe I need some penetrating lubricant or something.

Yep Lube them up good...

I used two 10" extensions on my wrench so this way I was loosing bolts from below the tail pipe and axle.

a universal socket will get on the bolt. it the bolt brealk off, you can just punch the welded nut through the upper mount and just hold a regular nut in its place.

jneary said:
a universal socket will get on the bolt. it the bolt brealk off, you can just punch the welded nut through the upper mount and just hold a regular nut in its place.

Don't forget the most important part...

If he gets to the stage of punching the welded nut. He will have to get to that from the inside. Cut a hole in the floor of the cargo area.

I just went through that for one of my rear leafs.

i believe you can sneak a nut up in the upper mount area without going through the floor board. there are quite a few jeeps running around northern virginia like that with no problems.

I just ran a bolt through the "frame" with a wire and then put the nut on from the bottom. I had to do it for 3 out of 4. Kind of really sucked....

Later,
Rough

Re: Installing shocks (or anything underneath)

Put a bit of antiseize on the bolt threads, unless you want to fight with them again if you have to go back! Here where they salt the roads all winter, antiseize can prevent much grief.

Been spraing PB Blaster on the buggers for 2 days now, and they still won't come free. The bolts that are towards the front end of the Jeep come loose easily, but the rears don't. I called a place nearby and they want to charge 30min per side at $79.95/hr. Bleh... Might have to pay it. Was hoping to get it done by myself though.

Any more tips/ideas? :dunno:

Rough 01 said:
I just ran a bolt through the "frame" with a wire and then put the nut on from the bottom. I had to do it for 3 out of 4. Kind of really sucked....

Later,
Rough
i think this is the best way of doing it. if you break off a bolt just drill it out.

Back