• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header for a 4 cyl. HELP!

I ran a Clifford on mine and loved it. They specialize in 4 & 6 cylinders and know their stuff. I got my first header from them in 1967. I now have a Clifford on my 4.7L stroker.

simonsxj said:
I have a 1989 XJ with a 4 cyl. and an auto. I can't seem to find a header besides Borla for this vehicle. Am I just blind or what? Thanks for any input.

That is the best one. Clifford and Pacesetter are the only other two I know of.

I have a Clifford on mine...works and fits pretty good...just make sure they fully understand the application...the one that fits properly is a rear exit 2 into 2 into 1 design....the other header they make is a 4 into 1 that crosses under the oil pan...it will not work on your XJ... (they sent me the wrong one the first time)...In either case you will need a custom bent pipe to connect the header to the cat...the collector exit is too far back to make the turn in front of the tranny pan...I had the pipe installed with flanges ahead of the cat so the piece can be unbolted for servicing of the tranny...I would advise you to either buy the optional ceramic coating or have the header coated locally...the stock paint on the header looks real good but it will burn off leaving the metal unprotected.

Back