• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Gear Oil

rattler43

NAXJA Forum User
Was lazy the other day and let a quicky lube place change my oil and filter, lube, and check the axles, TC, and Trannie. I told them to just check the fluid levels and not add anything as I used synthetic gear oil in trannie and axles. The manager asked me if I used a gasket or RTV on the axles and I told him RTV. He said they had received a bulletin that claimed the synthetics would eat the RTV up and cause leaks. Has anyone heard of this before? Just curious and wondering whether I should redo them and use gasket. Don

I use synthetic in my axles and have yet to see any leaks with RTV, just make sure the mating surface has no oil on it when you install because that will cause a leak

Which Greasy Simian-type place was it? I'd be interested to see a copy of that bulletin since my RTV/synthetic blends don't leak (but some of the RTV/dino oil ones do)

rattler43 said:
Was lazy the other day and let a quicky lube place change my oil and filter, lube, and check the axles, TC, and Trannie. I told them to just check the fluid levels and not add anything as I used synthetic gear oil in trannie and axles. The manager asked me if I used a gasket or RTV on the axles and I told him RTV. He said they had received a bulletin that claimed the synthetics would eat the RTV up and cause leaks. Has anyone heard of this before? Just curious and wondering whether I should redo them and use gasket. Don

I bet he told you you needed an air filter too huh? He was trying to sell you a gasket and new synth... what an ass. Thats why he makes 8.00 / hr

I have only one bulletin for DC vehicles and it states that if you use the factory fill on 8.25 and 9.25 axles you must use a special RTV as the fluid will eat through most standard RTV's. The factory fill on these axles is 75-90 GL5 and its part#5010320AA. The only exception to this is Ram1500 with tow package or LS and they get synthetic as recommended by owners manual.

Yucca-Man said:
Which Greasy Simian-type place was it? I'd be interested to see a copy of that bulletin since my RTV/synthetic blends don't leak (but some of the RTV/dino oil ones do)

chrsler does recommend a different sealant for the diff's it is gray in color, and not that expensive. if it isnt leaking now. i wouldnt worry about it until it does, just check it periodically.

I use RTV and synthetic gear oil, and mine leaks like a siv.... through the big hole I punched in it last weekend :doh: The seal around the diff doesnt leak though.

Thanks for the replies....I was just curious, as almost every thread I've read on here were using rtv when resealing axle covers. I'll just keep an eye on it for awhile and see what happens. Thanks again for the replies. Don

I think it's worth mentioning that there are many grades of RTV. I no longer use the blue or red, I prefer permatex ultra-black or ultra-gray. I have had leaks with blue or red, never with black or gray. Always clean the gaskets surfaces with acetone before using RTV.

Back