• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's time for new rims

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've come to the conclusion that I want a little bit narrower stance (since I'm 84" from outside of tire to outside of tire in the front :shocked: ). I'm not narrowing the axle. Period. I can shave off almost 9" total width if I got some 17x8 rims with like 5" backspacing (I realize the tire is still 12.5 - humor me.)
Soooooooo.... What should I be concerned about when choosing between 16.5's and 17's and between 8 inch wides or 10's and between steel and aluminum? I'm considering going with beadlocks now (since the "cheap" black steel wheels cost $80+ now :rolleyes: ), but may wait until a little later to beadlock them.
Any input would be appreciated as I continue to research. Keep in mind that moving away from 15" rims means I gotta get new tires too and I don't have all that much money to work with :D
Thanks,
Billy

my new ones...

mini_DSC00104.sized.jpg

17" x 8.5
5.5" back spacing
8x6.5 lug pattern
$150 shipped for 4
will be beadlocking them in the future.

-Scott

yeah, the H2 ones look like a good option, someone on PBB beadlocked a set.

i got 15x10s when i thought i was gonna get wider tires, but ended up with 12.50s. if you're gonna stick with 12.50s DO NOT get 15x10s. after just one trip on Fordyce all 4 wheels had rubbed a fair bit.

I would also not even consider wheels that leae the hubs sticking out farther than the wheel.

so what are you gonna do for tires? stay 35" or going up?

have you even wheeled it yet? wheel it first before deciding to change all this stuff around.

BrettM said:
so what are you gonna do for tires? stay 35" or going up?

If I gotta buy new tires, I'm going to 37s.

BrettM said:
have you even wheeled it yet? wheel it first before deciding to change all this stuff around.

No... and thanks for rubbin' it in! :D I need to change it because I drive it on the street. I'm tired of taking back streets to avoid "the man".
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Nice. Where'd you get them from?
Billy

ebay man....ebay.

There are always good deals on the H2 wheels because all the homies like to put the 24's on their H2's.

-Scott

yea, they are aluminum but are suprisingly heavy. I want to find a scale to get an exact weight, but they feel heavy to me....

-Scott

Are you running a front axle with hubs? If so, kiss them goodbye in the rocks.

JeepFreak21 said:
If I gotta buy new tires, I'm going to 37s.

No... and thanks for rubbin' it in! :D I need to change it because I drive it on the street. I'm tired of taking back streets to avoid "the man".
Billy

what about some bushwackers?

JeepFreak21 said:
What front axle are you running? Are you running hi steer? Who's arms? It looks like the backspacing could be a little too much :(
Billy

I'm going to be running a D44 out of a 79 F250. I plan on running hi-steer with shakerbuilt arms. I have not REALLY gotten into the fitting anything up since the wheels just came and I do not have the arms on the knuckles. I am hoping that the they'll work, or else I may need to use a different arm.

I'll have to let you know when I get everything all put together.

As for the hubs sticking out too far, I think they will stick out a bit, but nothing major just have to try to be aware of where the hubs are at. Wont know till I get it all fitted. Worst comes to worst i'll just toss some .5 or .75" spacers on there. Thats the beauty of getting too much BS, you can always get rid of it.

-Scott

Back