• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poping during shifting

2wdxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 xj 4.0 thats has a small problem. As im shifting through the gears I get a small poping out of the exhaust. Im not sure if this is a back preasure problem or a timing issue. It doesnt pop every time and it seems to be less when its warmed up. Im lost at this piont

I did do a search and found nothing

Also , while Im here. Is there anyway to make the motor start any faster? It takes about 7=10 revolutions be for the motor starts. When it does start the motor climbs up 2k for a second and then idels just fine. I already replaced the cps behind the motor and it realy didnt help.

Thanks for the help Randy

Does it pop at start up? If it does, it´s pretty much a classic symptom of a cracked exhaust manifold, pretty common. With a cold motor (and blocks behind the wheels), I have someone start it up, and feel around the joints for a crack (you can feel it puff), until it gets too hot to fool with (which happens fast).
Mine doesn´t surge at start up nearly as bad, as it used to (still hits 1500 or so). A TPS adjustment, a O2 sensor replacement helped and cleaning the IAC. Now I have to remember, not to touch the pedal at start-up, doesn´t need it anymore, since the IAC cleaning (mine was stuck shut).
Mine had a loss of power/hestitantion/flat spot, at higher RPM´s (above 2000), a hesitantion when accelarating and would hunt at idle (up and down), O2 sensor relieved most of these problems and helped with the start up surge (also helped it, to start with fewer revolutions, in combination with the TPS adjustment).
I also removed and cleaned my IAC and the seat in the throttle body. Avoid solvents when cleaning the IAC. Leave the piston alone, just clean what you can see,a finger nail and a little light oil works. The seat in the throttle body, can be cleaned with a toothbrush and some solvent. Most guys recommend, removing the throttle body, the TPS and IAC from the throttle body, and then doing a serious scrubbing. This methode takes a new gasket and a TPS adjustment.
The 7-10 revolution thing, is a fairly standard problem (usually worse in winter). Often a combination of things, the better the battery and cable connections, the faster it turns over (needs a couple hundred RPM´s to get a good pulse/index from the CPS), Basic tune up stuff (plugs/cap), and letting the fuel pump work for a 10-15 seconds or so with the key in the run possition, before trying to start. The check valve, in the pump. sometimes allows the pressure in the fuel rails to bleed down. Letting the pump run a bit before start-up helps.
Hope I´ve helped some, with my findings and things I´ve picked up on the forum.

Something I forgot, hot start up surge, can be O2 related. Cold start surge is probably the TPS or IAC. O2 sensor doesn´t do much till the motor reaches operating temp.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks for your reply it helped alot!
To answer your question, It doesnt pop on start up, just randomly between shifts that get up to 3000rpm. I will replacing the o2 senser and what is the IAC? Just want to make sure Im looking at the right part.

Im also in the process of changing the injectors with hipo units and upgrading to a MSD ingnition unit and some better plugs on top of that. I guess Ill be busy this weekend.

Thanks again...Randy

i wouldnt be too concerned with the iac motor, it has no effect off idle like at higher rpm's as you stated . it really controls idle speed. i would check o2 sensor function.

Back