• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much diff oil in a D44 ?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I got 2 quarts in (ok.. almost) and I'm not sure if I should be trying to squeeze a bit more in (I got 4" shims which move the fill hole down a bit).
Anyways, when I get time (next fluid change) I'm planning on drilling and tapping a fill hole to make things easier, but for now I do it the redneck way: jack the rear as high as my jackstands will support it and fill it up.

I put in slightly over 2....call it about 2.25 quarts when installing my rear last week.

I wouldn't describe filling by sight as redneck. My XJ has a D44 and the manual says to fill it to the height of the filler hole. I've seen other manuals describe checking the level with a finger and if it's low you fill it to the level of the hole. But those amounts are about right. Depends on the carrier too.

Last edited:
Eric@OA said:
I wouldn't describe filling by as redneck.
The redneck part comes from lifting the rear and putting it on the jackstands to offset the effects of the 4* shim.

In regards to the carrier, I have a detroit in there, which potentially takes up more room (volume) then the open carrier with spider gears.

Remi-
Just an idea...
I got a cover from a HP 44. The fill hole was a good 1 1/2" higher, hence more fluid in.

BillR said:
Remi-
Just an idea...
I got a cover from a HP 44. The fill hole was a good 1 1/2" higher, hence more fluid in.
Was this from the front axle from a ForD ? I heard that this was true but I need someone to verify.
Wayne

The Ford HP44 (front) cover is thicker than an XJ rear, and has it's fill plug up higher.

Mine is a standard cover, but I try to 'overfill' it a half-pint or so since the kicked up pinion likes that. Parking nose down on a grade is my way.

Back