• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 or 4.56?

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about going to 4.88's and some people are telling me that the most that they would go is 4.56 due to the pinion size on the d30. Is this really a problem? This rig is a DD too.:confused:

you'll find some people saying its a problem and some not. i heard a few people who broke 4.88's in the d30 when they first became available, but i havent heard of anything lately. thats what i'm doing and i'm not giveing it a second thought.

Brad

I know of a guy who trashed his 30 because of 4.88s. Not enough tooth mesh. I had 4.56s in my 30 and it took the shop a LONG time to get it set up correctly. They didn't recommend anything more than 4.10s on a 30. Then again, look at little CJ-2 and 3s. They have a tiny D25 or something like that with 5.38s. I'd stick to 4.56s though on a DD anyway. I ran a similar set-up as you only I had an HO motor. 93 4.0, auto, 35 BFGs and I was happy with 4.56s as a DD. I run 36 TSLs now and use mine primarily as a trailrig but the 4.56s still do fine. I'd go with 4.56s and play with the motor to get a little more power. Just my 2 cents.

i have 4.56s and an LT1... the engine tachs up REAL quick on the street.. i miss having a first gear.. i wish for 4.10s.. ...

"not enough tooth mesh".....

have you seen these two gearsets on a meshed on a table and compared the amount of surface area in the mesh?

its indistinguishable......

Any body knbow what the engine tach's at 70 with 35's and 4.56's? Oh yea add an auto into that too.

Hey Neil, numerically 4.56 should put you at stock gearing and 28" tires. Now if you account for the the extra height, tire drag, and wind resistance then your undergeared. As far as the trail is concerned you'll be fine. With 4.88, you would have to run a 38.5" tire to have equal to stock gearing. Which would make a killer crawl ratio, with out a crawler case.

Basically your trying to figure out your on-road day to day driving. When it comes to the crawling, I like to be on the conservative side and play it safe. I would choose the 4.56, then look into a crawler TC.

You just want me to be at 4.56 so I'll give you my d30arb when I go to a d44 :) Don't worry I think that the 4.56 is looking good anyway. Do you know what Rob went to? I think that 4.56 with a Clune would be great, then I wake up ;) What do you think about the spool in the rear and the arb in front? should I save my money and go for dual arb's? The first one I can do in about 2 weeks the second I will have to wait about 6 weeks. Also I need a good place to relocate my battery to make room for my oba.

If you ran 5.13's and a Clune would you be able to see your Jeep move?

who needs a jeep to move when you have the internet!

mostkeyboard.jpg

You don't want 33" and 3.55 either I spent eleven hours Saturday in mine on a road trip. I have to manually lock my convertor too, which helps hold 3rd (reminds me of an old split-shift truck)

I'm running 3.55 and 35's! Seems to do ok, I say ok because on the road I have lost the use of 4th gear and off the road any throttle application equals tire spin. Kind of hard in the snow. should be lots of fun in the mud :)

that is NOT a good thing....

"seems to do okay" is what everyone says, because they can't see whats really happening.....

losing 4th gear is not as bad as losing the ability to lock-up.....

this is creating a lot more heat, and heat kills trannies....

get those gears neil!

I am ordering them on Friday. Hope to have them in by Wed.

I run 3.55's on 30" MTRs and I still swim all around 4th gear on the highway. The truck is still plenty strong for the average Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick, but I like a little more sugar in my bowl. I plan on 4.10's as next move. People post all the time about running their new 35's with stock 3.55's or even (gasp) 3.07's. Just because you cant see or hear a problem does not mean you are fine. Your AW-4s are screaming people, only you can't hear them because you don't have the ability to talk to them like Dr. DooBeezil. Letting your auto compensate for your lack of proper gearing is a short road to trouble. I feel the same about overgearing. 4.56 is plenty for a daily driver with 35's.
:next:

I'm running 4.56s and 35"s and it does fine. I can cruise at 75mph all day long. I've kept the weight of the rig down though. Seems to be the guys who complain about the 4.56s are the ones who add 1/4" armor everywhere and carry 500#s of gear in the back. Maybe a big block is in order for these guys.

Just to back up Beezil I run 4.56s with 31s and I can still highway drive fine and the Jeep is great offroad. I love my gearing and when I get 35s I am going to miss the extra gearing. That is why i am saving up for a new front diff so I can run 5.13s like Beezil.

Back