• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel low problem ??

bshaw

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys did a search on this and could not find what I'm looking for. Here couple of weekends ago I was out trail riding with my club. While out on the trails I tried using 4 Low more than a hand full of times, but it would not stay in for very long. It would pop out, I had to almost pratically grin/pop it in, and a couple of times while in four low the tranny would not go into drive or reverse. I know this sounds really wierd but something has to give here. My 4 high works just fine, no problems shifting it in and out as well as the part-time. Also, another thing I noticed while in four low I noticed that the part-time light came on. Is that normal or not? I have a 95 XJ Country with the 242 t-case and a Auto tranny. I've got the RE6030 (3.5" super flex) kit installed with Rusty's .75 shackels in the rear, plus a TW SYE/CV d-shaft. I was told by one guy in the club that I might be having problems with the 4-Low because of my lift. He said that the plate around the shifter needs to be trimmed back a bit. He went on to tell me it was the linkage being closer together, and needs more room to move/shift correctly. He does not own a jeep, so I though I would ask out here first before I tie into this, is he right? Any suggestions, or help would greatly be apperciated. Thanks!!!!

Sounds like you just need to adjust the linkage a little.

13mm wrench and you should be able to figure it out.

mark

I have seen many other guys have the same problem with various vehicles that are lifted. It is most likely your linkage, try adjusting , if nothing, then see if there is any cutting that must be done. Mine had the problem when i was at 7.5" on an 88 xj, a few times when i put it in 4lo on a hill it would pop out. I soon modified it to 10" figuring i would fix it after and oddly i never had the problem EVER again(knocking on wood) to this day. BTW the part time light comes on for 4 low too since there is no individual light for it. That linkage should always be able to go in relatively easy and seat nicely so if it feels like it is not snug than it is most likely the linkage.

It can also be worn bushings in the t-case linkage. Try adjusting the linkage first, if that doesn't work (or do it anyway just to be safe), get some new bushings. They are very small plastic donuts that the shift rod pops into. I had a problem with low range and new linkage bushings fixed it.

BTW, your friend has no idea what he's talking about.

Does sound like the linkages. I was 3/4 of the way up Moab Rim, when mine started to kick out, and wouldn't stay in. Would grind and sit there, when I thought it was all the way in. I had to run it thru the park/reverse/neutral ranges a few times before it liked something that didn't much look like it was in any of the three, before it would stay in for a while. I made it the rest of the way up to a flat spot to fix it, by hanging onto the damned thing like an Oh Gawd bar. I thought it was just from lack of use..no, not THAT, the 4 lo...but it was the linkages. Once adjusted a couple times, it's been fine since.

to eliminate linkage problem, disconnect your linkage and put it on 4lo manually under your jeep, if it pops out still of 4lo then you know it is something internal, but if it stays in then your in luck and it is just worn bushings in you linkage.

Back