• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky axle seals?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I literally JUST put in new superior shafts in teh rear, and all new bearings and seals as well. I went wheeling at the badlands last weekend and got some water in the diff. There must ahve been a lot because it spit all the way up the breather into teh frame rail, and it spit out the seals as well. I emptied it and changed the fluid. It came out a nice milky color. I assumed that changing the fluid and tightening up the retainer plate bolts woudl stop the leaking. It hasnt. THey both are still leaking. Do I need to take out teh shafts and check the springs or something? Just curious if anyone had ideas on what woudl cause this and why it would continue? I dont need all new seals do I>? Theyre brand new! Let me know if you have any thoughts.
josh

What axle and did you check the filler plug seal if it has one?

Incredible Hulk said:
I literally JUST put in new superior shafts in teh rear, and all new bearings and seals as well. I went wheeling at the badlands last weekend and got some water in the diff. There must ahve been a lot because it spit all the way up the breather into teh frame rail, and it spit out the seals as well. I emptied it and changed the fluid. It came out a nice milky color. I assumed that changing the fluid and tightening up the retainer plate bolts woudl stop the leaking. It hasnt. THey both are still leaking. Do I need to take out teh shafts and check the springs or something? Just curious if anyone had ideas on what woudl cause this and why it would continue? I dont need all new seals do I>? Theyre brand new! Let me know if you have any thoughts.
josh

Its a D44, and the filler plug is a screw in, so no seal to check there. Its the seals on teh ends, so the fluid is dripping on my brakes and wheels.

Back