• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pumps

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well it seems my fuel pump has died again. After sespecting the engine was not getting gas I pulled the filter, let the gas drain then put the key in the on position. This should cause the pump to prime and spray gas out of the filter, correct? No gas comes out except when you lower the filter and it starts to shipon out. To rule out a clogged filter I removed the filter and ran the same test with the same results. Is there anything else that would cause the fuel pump not to run? also I just replaced the pump two years ago and I think it should last a bit longer and even the one I replaced only lasted 4 some years before this current one. So what are some good quality fuel pumps that are going to last a bit longer? I beilive both of the last pumps where from Napa.

What year XJ?

If the fuel pump isn't doing anything, I think before you buy a new one you should check to see if you're getting power to the fuel pump. If not, look at the fuel pump relay, then the ballast resistor (if your year has one), then the ignition switch.

It's a 89. I play with the wires on the resistor, tired jumpint he wires and it's din't make any difference. I havn't changed the relay or been able to check for power since I don't have a volt meter. One of the Jeeps guys helping me look at it tonight did say he could hear the pump when the key was turned on so that would indicate the pump was getting power, but I havn't been able to confirm that with a voltmeter.

And as for what pump to get it seems the OEM unit is the better of the replacements.

well I guess the last fuel pump I had put in was a Jeep unit from the dealer. This sucks if they are only going to last two years. It was only 195 though so I guess I give it a whirl.

there has been a lot of issues with fuel pumps lately. chrysler states that he fuel tanks have to be cleaned out or they will not warranty the pumps. the debris in the tank can be causing the failure, and if they dont do it you will be back. make sure the tank is flushed out so if there is another failure, it is on their dime.

What year (s) had the resistor? I still have a ongoing issue also. Its a 94. Thanks , sorry to hijack your thread.

Back