• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Dumb Question

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if anybody knows where the fuel filter is on the '97-'01 XJ's? I read online (some auto repair site, that also in the same answer that refered to the engineers who did this as drug users) it was on top of the gas tank bewteen that and the floorpan. Is that true, and if so, is there a passthrough in the cargo area like on some Japanese cars?

It is integral with the fuel pump and is not a routine service item. It gets replaced if and when you replace the fuel pump.

Aaahhh, I was begining to wonder if thats what they did (couldn't feel a filter on top of the tank when installing the airshocks a few weeks back). You wouldn't by chance know what the lifespan on those things too, would you? Thanks again!

The filter is a replace when it fails item. Normally the pump goes first, but if you got a load of really bad gas, you can clog a filter first, but normally that same crap will have fubar'd the pump as well.

and if for some reason the pump fails, you MUST clean the tank thoroughly or the contaminates will destroy the new pump, and if that is the case, it will not be covered under warranty if a chrysler part is used.

How come I figured that would be the case with the warranty, thanks for the warning on cleaning the tank. I may be better off to do it myself if I ever need to (we tend to keep vehicles till they drop dead one too many times or get totaled, so that can lead to a looong ownership).

Thanks again!

Back