• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making Bumpstops For Bilstein Shocks

BornAgainXJer said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to put a compression bumpstop on the shaft of the shock, similar to what the doetsch shocks have on them.

what does this look like?

They can be put on any rebuildable shock. The shock needs to be disassembled and the piston removed from the shaft, then the shaft bump slid on, and the shock put back together, filled, and recharged.

Doetsch can do it to any rebuidable shock......$35 plus the cost of the stop.

I'm guessing that fully compressing the shock with any force at all would result in the zip tie snapping and the strapped on bushing parting company with your shock.....simple, cheap and easy mod though.

Yeah, the zip tie breaking was actually my only concern about it. I don't like what I am seeing with extended bumpstops. They just seem to bend or slide between the lower bumpstop and the spring. Also seem to get snagged up on spring as well. I don't really want to bend the spring tower till it's straight down either like someone had suggested in another thread I was reading. I think I am going to try this but want to find a better way to keep the bushing on. And ideas? I was think about something that would "melt" it back together.

Back