• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys OTK steering or home made?

BennettXJ

NAXJA Forum User
been lurking around naxja for a while before, first post.

I'm gonna be jumping to longarms soon (already at ~7-8" and my short arms are crying) and its about time for me to address my steering again. i put on a new tie rod from CRSU not long ago when i was at 4.5" cause i bent my old one. anyway, i was searching for OTK systems that are prefabbed and came across rusty's version. (http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OTK01&Category_Code=ste). anyone have experience with this? im assuming id have to lose my current disco's and t-bar? would i be better off putting the kit together/making it myself for cheaper since i dont want/need the t-bar that comes with it?

also saw hes got some new 9" springs (http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...&Product_Code=ROR805&Category_Code=sus_xj_par) i guess to compete with RE's 7.5s....5$ says RE sits higher after a month with a winch and bumper hung on it.

thanks for any help
-Ben

Speaking of bulletproof i have been considering this kit. Is anyone out there running this and how do you like it. Sorry for stealing the thread.

M.O.R.E has also made a steering kit for the XJ. I don't have it but I seriously considered it. I generally here good things about the MORE products. You can see it at: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/

click Catalog and go to Steering Correction Kits. It's still not listed as a standard part number, but if you call them up they'll probably offer you beta version.

I made my over knuckle setup. Works great. Only thing I'd do differently is add a bend to the draglink so that it comes into the pitman flat rather than at an angle... then itd b able to drop the passengers side tire further. Right now it doesnt bind or anything (though close) cause the shocks are the limiting factor for me right now. Heres a few pics.

P5250297.jpg

P6070318.jpg

P6070318.jpg

P6070320.jpg

P6100322.jpg

As for tracbar and that jazz... if you are confident enough in your welding to make youre steering, then making a little over axle mount for the tracbar is a cake walk. Took me about 2 hours to fab one and mount it up, had to shorten the Trac bar too.

I am considering doin a very similar setup. Do you have any dead spots in the steering and does the TR twist up too much. How does that ride with no sway bars? What did you use for a pitman (ZJ or drop). Just got my LA's 7.5" coils and 35's on and everything rides suprising well but my knuckly were the DL and TR meet is beating the shite out of my disconnect already lost my JKS pin on the way home from the shop. I havent had time to really look at it but it seems that one time i can park turn lock to lock and have 1-2" clearance and others there sitting on each other with tires straight up?

yeah, i lost my JKS pin too, so i just cut them off! swaybar mounts i mean... just cut them, and drive more cautiously throughout turns

Ben-you do know Andy has built a few real nice and beefy OTK steering setups right? I know of atleast 2, 1 on my friend's XJ, and the other on Andy's own MJ. Might save you some money too if he can reuse the CRS tie rod you already bought from him. Shoot, I bet it'll be cheaper than the MORE setup, and its definately made of a larger/stronger tube than the Rusty's kit. Call him up and see if he can do one for you if you're serious. I have some pictures at home I could email you if you need it, but you'll have to wait till Sunday.

Back