• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Utah Safety And Emissions

BornAgainXJer

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Salt Lake City and am wondering where it would be best to take my jeep to get safety and emissions taken care of. I am looking for the most lenant shop to go to. So if there is anyone that could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not aware that shops have any say with regard to the standards that must be met for safety or emissions. If they are, then they're doing no one any favors, including you.

If you have concerns about passing either test, may I suggest you rectify the problem(s) first? Besides, if you fail the emissions test there are provisions for a waiver after you spend a certain amount of $$$ for the repair of the problem. If it's a safety issue, there's no excuse to seek leniency.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is the responsible thing to do.

Tom

I am thinking that my tires might be sticking out to far beyond my stock flares to pass. 33x12.5's on 15x8's with 3.75" of bs. I would attach a picture to show you but I can't seem to figure out how to do so

I've always gone to emissions plus on 33rd south in Holladay. They aren't the most lenient place so you might not want to try them. I just like the fact that they don't have their own garage so they aren't fishing for work. Some places will give you a long list of repairs hoping you will use them to do the work.

BornAgainXJer said:
That would be pretty lame of them I think. But a better question for you is how do you know if I am even running a D35?
jeep_003.sized.jpg

I just put on my stock tires.
Legally your tires have to be completely covered by your fender flares and you have to have mud flaps that extend down to the centerline of your axle.
I haven't been harassed by Johnny Law since I put mudflaps on. (knock on wood)

I live up North near the city of Og and have never had the shop I use hassle me about lift, tires or flaps......my tires stick out about 1" beyond the flare, and I run flaps anyway. Does Les Schwab tire do inspections? The one in Taylorsville is a NAXJA IC supporter, FWIW.
Post this up on www.RockyMountainExtreme.com and see if a local SLC shop gets recommended.

Back