• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clearing 33's

PC-UT-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have the 4.5" coils and a one inch spacer plus trimming and bushwackers to clear 33" Baja Claws. On tight turns, the tires rub against the flares, so I'll trim them up a little bit. But the main thing is that I'm concerned about the tire pushing up into the fender and against the bushwacker and tearing it off. I know extended bumpstops is part of the solution, but I don't want to sacrifice the great flex I was getting before with 32" tires.

Here are the options I'm looking at:
-ACOS (does the height I adjust them to affect the angle of the control arms?)

-Installing the 4.5" ZJ coils I already own ( don't I need to then replace the
trackbar and won't the control arms be at too steep of an angle?

-Any other suggestions besides taking off the bushwackers?

What's your wheel backspacing? I would think that you should not have any rubbing problems w/ 5.5 of lift and cutout flares...

You should be around 3.75 inches of backspacing on 15x8 rims. If you have more backspacing than that, that could be your problem. Good luck.

if u are running a 15 x 10 wheel that is gonna be the problem, that really suprises me that your sitting at 5 x inches of lift with bushwackers and rubbing at all, i am at 4 inches with stock flares with minor front trimming and i rubbed only at a full steering lock with 33's.

maybe its time to do a little more fender trimming on your rig and then reattach the bushwackers.

when i was around 5.5 and 33s i did have issues at first, but theres a few easy things to remedy:
backspacing is key. i have TJ canyons (with 5.25" of BS) after some spidertrax 1.25 spacers, most all of the rub was gone. also, as stated before, a 10" wheel will rub more than an 8" one.
control arm setup. i simply extended my lowers a half inch (about all i could go safely and still keep it somewhat in alignment and with decent caster) and my uppers maybe 1 turn, and it finished off the rubbing. i was on trimmed stock flares too.
give us more specs on your wheels and we can maybe diagnose more
-Ben

they are 15x8 inch rims with i think 4.5" backspacing. i dont really understand the tech behind backspacing . . .but it looks like in the front of my XJ i need more clearance to allow them to flex better, and i thought with more clearance ill get rid of that rubbing. am i way off?

Run flareless!! :greensmok
I assume were you are rubbing is right in front of the door right on the rocker pannel. That happened to me a while a go. The reason, I have ~5 inches of lift with 4.5 inch control arms. I am planning on instaling a bumper and winch, so I added the extra inch. I cut a fair amount right there and now it doesn't rub.
I would take the flare off, cut where it rubs and bend the flares a little until they fit again. Or, you could get wheels with less backspacing.

Starboard M said:
Run flareless!! :greensmok
I assume were you are rubbing is right in front of the door right on the rocker pannel. That happened to me a while a go. The reason, I have ~5 inches of lift with 4.5 inch control arms. I am planning on instaling a bumper and winch, so I added the extra inch. I cut a fair amount right there and now it doesn't rub.
I would take the flare off, cut where it rubs and bend the flares a little until they fit again. Or, you could get wheels with less backspacing.

Running flareless in Utah will get you a fix-it ticket....tires have to be covered by the flare, as well as mud flaps that extend down to at least half the tire height.

Good advice on the trimming....more lift won't really solve the rubbing issues, because you'll still rub when flexed. Running adjustable LCA/UCA's, you should be able to push the axle forward to get back to 101" Wbase and still have caster around 5 degrees, which should also keep the tire out of your flare on the rear of the wheelwell. I'm running Rubi wheels which are 5.25" BS-ed 16x8's and 285's which are 33x11.50 eqivelent with a 1.25" billet adapter, for at total BS of 4". On my 89, which has different flares than yours, 3.75-4.25" BS seems to provide the least amount of rubbage.
Hope this helps....

Back