• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

little problem

87cheif

NAXJA Forum User
anyone ever start their car and seem like someone else is pushing on the gas pedal. for some reason i start my xj and it revs up pretty high by itself. (dont know how high since it isn't equipped with a tach). i have to start the car a couple times and press on the gas pedal for it to go away.if anyone knows how to get rid of that, your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

My 87 4.0 sometimes does that (rev's up to 2,500). Pushing the pedal doesn't always work for me though. It is usualy when I spend too much time in the lower rms and shut the Jeep off. When I go to start it up again it does that until I run it up a bit. I usualy run it in a higher gear for about 1/2 mile and it will drop back down to normal. I think someone mentioned before that it was related to the TPS, but may be wrong. I had the throttle body cleaned out and it helped. I also found a rusted out spring near the TB. If i remember correctly my wifes 96 has this on the throttle linkage, my 87 might have but doesn't now.

Copperhead

1987 4.0 Laredo 2door 280,000km
1996 4.0 Sport 4door 160,000mi

Try starting the car with gas pedal halfway down. I had same problem and car started OK when I had the pedal down. I adjusted TPS and now it starts OK but I´m still going to clean the TB and wire connectors carefully and then adjust TPS again...

there is no need to start a fuel injected car with any pressure whatsoever on the gas pedal. In fact, it can actually cause damage.

burntkat said:
there is no need to start a fuel injected car with any pressure whatsoever on the gas pedal. In fact, it can actually cause damage.

Yup, not a good idea to touch the skinny pedal when starting a FI injected engine, the computer knows what it is supposed to do and if you confuse it with a random TPS signal, or pump it a couple of times while it's turning over, it may balk at the changed and random parameters it is being fed.

this happened to my '88....

I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the spring on the fuel linkage....

this seemed to correct to prob.. but the next weekend I tried to swim, it turned out to be more of a submarine.....

I had to rebuild the motor...but I dont have the high revving problem

Back