• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad running Jeep, got the fix

jammerjamesharmon

NAXJA Forum User
Gosh I feel like a DA.
Jeep started out kind of "missing" a fire here and there. Trouble shooting, swapped out all my spare stuff, long list (this includes plugs, wires, cap and rotor). Nothing. One day it got really bad (Mongo, remember Devil's Den?) and got me home only because I kept it over 2k (third gear) all the way home from San Antonio. I was pumped, because being this bad, I thought it would be easy to fix. Could not figure it out. Took it to Just Jeeps and it was quickly diagnosed as a bad fuel pump. 25lbs of pressure vs. the 35 it should have. Ran a lot better, but the missing was still there, it is a different unrelated problem!!!!!!!! Since they put the pump in, let them go ahead and look into this. Are you ready............................ turned out to be these http://www.directhits.com/Products.asp that I installed years ago. I did take these off when troubleshooting this problem, and replaced with some old Bosh platinum tips I had laying around. Come to find out, Jeep, especially old ones hate these. Not enough fire power to run. Interesting, but I did not get the hint, was that the symptom was worse (quite a bit actually) with the direct hits (they use their own plug) vs. the platinum tips. I was told to buy the elcheapo $1.60 Champion and it purrs like a kitten...............................

I guess I don't have to rebuild the engine, get a complete new wiring harness, or get rid of the whole thing. Once again this whole problem was my fault. Lesson learned is never, never mess with the stock ignition...............

james
www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon

Back