• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumpsteer

trailrunner

NAXJA Forum User
99xj,6inch lift,raised my steering up for high steer,bolted the track bar in ariginal hole on the axle side lowered down up on the frame side,tried raising up on the axle side but started breaking the bracket off,? will steering stabalizer help do away with the bumpsteer,or do l need to redo the mounting of the trk bar?thanks.

There's a lot to this mod, as I am finding out. I am currently doing a LOT of research into new steering and track bar setups. But one thing is a must: Length and angle must be as close to identical between the drag link and track bar. And especially with a 6" lift, you will NEED a new track bar. Do a search here and you will find a lot of thought and energy put into custom front ends.

If I understand your plight, you now have high-steer, but are using the factory axle mount for the factory track bar, and a dropped frame mount for it. Unless you dropped the frame mount by the same as you raised the drag link, you put the two bars out of alignment. And if you changed the length of the drag link, you need to match it with a new track bar. Otherwise, you are creating a type of compund leverage that will rip off a bracket or mounting point in your front end.

Like I said, I am fairly new to this, but I believe what I have told you thus far is correct. Others will be along, but I wanted to get you started in the (hopefully) right direction.

Oh, and about the bumpsteer? It is most likely caused by the condition above...mismatched lengths/angles.

Last edited:
Back