• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Hooks & Skid Plates

Camshaft

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ: http://www.cardomain.com/id/camshaftsjeep and I was looking at getting skid plates and tow hooks for some minor off-roading (see third page on my site.) I was looking at tow hook options, and I was wondering, should I get the Rusty's tow hooks: http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XJ-TH&Category_Code= or the factory ones? Also, what skid plates should I look at? I am getting a Rusty's BB and 30" tires. I just want to have some fun in the dirt for now, maybe do some light trails. Thanks for your help.

Does the Rusty's bracket come with the hooks?

You'd save quite a few bucks finding the factory set-up in a bone yard.

It sounds like it does come with the hooks.

I'm planning on going yarding with my buddy Andy, we're looking for the front bumper with fog lights, gauge cluster w/ tach, and and factory CD player. I may add this to the list too. Any suggestions on skid plates?

The tow hooks are quite stout and the tach is worth it. I haven't found a decent set of fog lights yet. Fun to look though.

Camshaft said:
Any suggestions on skid plates?

Look for a factory gas tank skid while you're at it, they're not bad. The factory t-case skid isn't so great though, but will suffice until you get something better. Probably tough to find the t-case skid anyhow.

Yes, the Rusty's kit comes with towhooks. It was one of the first additions I made to my Jeep, and it's an easy and complete install.

hey camshaft your probley sleeping now [thought i herd somone snoring LOL] but if you see this before you go yarding i'll sell you my old factory cd. think it had tape too, cant remember. worked fine just thought it sounded like crap. anyway email me at [email protected] if your interested.
about the fog lites the bumper is the same just trim the lower vallance and buy the cheepest wallmart specials you can find. trust me you'll buy them often.
about the gage cluster my tack. equiped one has a digital odometer and i read somewhere that it stores the mileage in the cluster. although your local ma mopar should be able to change it to be correct four your jeep. better ask them if and what kind of proof of correction they;ll need. before you go fork over some money for one.
ps 2000xj in mideastern oh
scoob

Last edited:
scoobyxj said:
hey camshaft your probley sleeping now [thought i herd somone snoring LOL] but if you see this before you go yarding i'll sell you my old factory cd. think it had tape too, cant remember. worked fine just thought it sounded like crap. anyway email me at [email protected] if your interested.
about the fog lites the bumper is the same just trim the lower vallance and buy the cheepest wallmart specials you can find. trust me you'll buy them often.
about the gage cluster my tack. equiped one has a digital odometer and i read somewhere that it stores the mileage in the cluster. although your local ma mopar should be able to change it to be correct four your jeep. better ask them if and what kind of proof of correction they;ll need. before you go fork over some money for one.
ps 2000xj in mideastern oh
scoob

Hey i'm in Eastern Ohio as well. The CD player you have sounds like the one i'm looking for. How much do you want for it? I am aware of having to change the odometer, but it dosen't bother me because I plan on running this thing until it dies...so it'll probably be with me forever! I liked the standard fog lights just because they fit flush into the bumper.

I'll look into the gas tank and t-case skids, if I can't find them i'll order them from Rusty's, they're getting plenty of my money anyways.

Here's the mods that I want to do soon:
-6"x9" K&N air filter
-Rusty's Airtube
-Rusty's throttle body spacer
-Rusty's exhaust system
-Clear parking lenses & turn signals
-Jeep embroidered floor mats
-Spare tire cover
-New gauge cluster w/ tachometer and reverse glow white face gauges
-Factory CD player
-Sport model front valence & fog lights
-Halogen headlights
-Port & polish
-Rusty's tow hook kit
-Rusty's gas tank & T-case skid plates
-Rusty's BB B1 spacers w/shackles
-Rusty's Hydro Shocks
-Rusty's stainless steel brake lines
-30"x9.5" BF Goodrich All-Terrain A/T tires

Any suggestions? Thanks once again for all of your help.

Scooby, Camshaft, I'm originally from Barnesville (save the jokes, believe me, I've heard 'em already), live in Columbus now. Just ran a trail over by Centerville yesterday, we may be heading back there on Saturday.

Steve

It's good to here that there are fellow Columbus Oh. jeep freaks on here.We just went out with central ohio jeep club yesterday out past barnesville at that state park.Hey croaker,are you near Groveport?

XJZ said:
Yeah, don't expect too much when purchasing Rusty's products....

How so? I have been pleased w/ everything I've ordered from Rusy. 4.5" lift. Front Receiver. Track Bar mount. Front disco's. Everything came to my door within 2 days as promised and the quality looks good to me.

Camshaft said:
What are your personal Rusty's horror stories? I wanna hear them before I plunk down my hard-earned cash...

Here are some pics of his stuff before he had enough of it happen to redesign and make the products beefier, but how many times do you let a dog bite before you stop feeding it?

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Camshaft said:
YIKES! He did beef his stuff up since then, right?

I know the control arms are beefier. Don't know about the rest of it.

Nice photos of Rusty's best.
My riding mower is beefier.
Thanks for the heads up.

Its scoob, im in coshocton just east of columbus. Havent done any real four wheeling yet, but im hoping to get to. Got a 2000 with 3 inch explorer pro-comp, 31x10.50's,
bushwacker pocket flares, some tow hooks and a hitch in back. Anyway, let you have the cd player for $50. Try to meet you somewhere to exchange to save on shipping. Let me know. Would like to have a set of white faced gauges myself, if you happen to find them let me know where.

Croaker, next time you guys go out, give me an email ( scoobyxj@yahoo) if you dont mind an amateur tagging along.

Back