• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tachometer Gauge Cluster Help

Camshaft

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I would just like to briefly introduce myself. My name is Cameron, and after wanting one for a long time, with the help of my parents, I bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4. It has the 2.5L four and a five speed. Please don’t shut me down, I will swap in a 4.0 soon. I don’t have much money so I am doing things little by little to improve my baby. I would like to install a new gauge cluster with a tachometer, but I have a few questions. What is the difference between the ’97-’99 gauges and the ’00-’01 gauges? Which is better? Also, is there a company that makes reverse glow white gauge faces with solid black letters that don’t require me to install any kind of external switch, as in they turn on & glow like stock? Thank you in advance for your help.

Can't help you on the gauges question, but I have to ask why you're already planning to swap out a perfectly good 2.5L for a 4.0L. The 2.5L is a fine engine and it'll last you for a long time if you take reasonable care of it. And it returns better gas mileage than the 4.0L.

Oh no, I meant in the distant future - 3 or 4 years maybe. sorry for the mistake. I have a few plans for the 2.5, it is very nice. Better pickup than my sister's Xterra and it is torquey too. On my Cardomain homepage you can see my plans on the 3rd page. Nothing too major yet, I have a few other irons in the fire.

Last edited:
Eagle said:
Can't help you on the gauges question, but I have to ask why you're already planning to swap out a perfectly good 2.5L for a 4.0L. The 2.5L is a fine engine and it'll last you for a long time if you take reasonable care of it. And it returns better gas mileage than the 4.0L.

Actually, mileage between the 2.5 and the 4.0 are very close. Most mileage claims I've read show the 4.0 beating out the 2.5 on the highway but slightly waning in city driving. Here is an example:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Jeep2000.shtml

If you use them both the same way, annual cost for fuel is going to be about the same. Makes me wonder why there was even a 4 cylinder option.

Back