• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wobblin'

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
I put on a 3 inch and 31's not too long ago, and haven't had too many problems, until now. slowly the wobble has come, and only at 55 mph. it was nothing really, untill yesterday, I was shaken like there was no tomorow.
Any idea's?

Codeman- (94 xj) (1" tcase drop)

Do a search on death wobble, its been covered A LOT!! ;)

if its fairly new and comes on regularly at a common speed i would really consider tire balance as a possible cause.. maybe lost a weight?

mike

at 2.5 inches of lift I had a slight wobble, hardly noticable (sp). I am now at 4.5 inches and it wobbled like mad. I got an adjustable track-bar and that cured alot of it, Also my tires are out of balance as well because my shakin comes at only about 55 mph. So definently check for out of balance tires...

I've been havin' this same problem for about 6 months. What's weird is...my right front tire is wearing more than my left. I also have the normal wear on the outside edges. I've replaced Rusty's trac bar tie rod end. Didn't help.Checked my steering shock. It's OK. I've had my front tires balanced 6 times to make sure. They are OK. I have fairly new hubs/bearing units on Lt and Rt side front. Along with new axle joints. I haven't had time to get an alignment :twak: . But, if that's not it, i'll replace all bushings,tie rod ends,maybe even newer axle joints, lower adjustable control arms,new tires or a newer steering shock. It's about to drive me to :tears: . There are so many things it could be, kinda amazes me, because of the fairly simple looking frontend :dunno: . I'll get it figured out after about $500.00 :flamemad: !

Anyone running the JKS adj track bar for 4+" of lift? It has a rebuildible Johnny Joint on it. I am trying to decide on whether to get the RE1660 or the JKS-OGS125.

Matt

Last edited:
ChuckD said:
If you get the JKS, get the one with the modified frame mount.

What's the modified frame mount? I don't think they offered that when I bought mine (4"+ of lift).

I have death wobble. 3.5 inch lift. Rusty's heavy duty adj. trackbar and mount. It was alligned but then I switched from the drop bracket to the adj. track bar so I prolly need to go have my toe checked. I had 1/8" castor shims in but have since taken them out since I think they made things worse. I have a new skyjacker stabilizer coming tomarrow but my stock one felt pretty good when I removed it today. I took the day off and went through checking and tightening everything I could find. My trackbar is tight and the axle centered perfectly (this prolly changed my toe so again I think it may be an allignment issue). I even upgraded the bolt on the axle side of the trac bar to a 7/16" to fit tighter. Still just about throws me out of the jeep at 55-60 mph over a particular dip in the road. WTF? My wheel bearings are tight and so are my ball joints. I am now at a loss. The stabilizer may help but I need to know what's up. My tires are very new and I never had a problem with them before the lift. I checked my LCA's for tight and checked to make sure my shocks were good and also that they were tight. Anybody see something I'm missing? Would a bad allignment or an unbalanced tire cause a DW only when hitting a bump or dip? It rides fine everywhere else. It wobbles so bad you have to stop (which takes forever since there's barely any braking power during the wobble) or you will lose control. ANY HELP??? PLEASE????

I have 99 with 5" lift and 32's, I had death wobble and replace the LCA's and it fixed it, they are only 5/8" longer than the stock one's, but I have been driving it for 6 months and hit some hard bumps without any death wobble. Hope that helps. Good luck.

y2kxj said:
I have death wobble. 3.5 inch lift. Rusty's heavy duty adj. trackbar and mount. It was alligned but then I switched from the drop bracket to the adj. track bar so I prolly need to go have my toe checked. I had 1/8" castor shims in but have since taken them out since I think they made things worse. I have a new skyjacker stabilizer coming tomarrow but my stock one felt pretty good when I removed it today. I took the day off and went through checking and tightening everything I could find. My trackbar is tight and the axle centered perfectly (this prolly changed my toe so again I think it may be an allignment issue). I even upgraded the bolt on the axle side of the trac bar to a 7/16" to fit tighter. Still just about throws me out of the jeep at 55-60 mph over a particular dip in the road. WTF? My wheel bearings are tight and so are my ball joints. I am now at a loss. The stabilizer may help but I need to know what's up. My tires are very new and I never had a problem with them before the lift. I checked my LCA's for tight and checked to make sure my shocks were good and also that they were tight. Anybody see something I'm missing? Would a bad allignment or an unbalanced tire cause a DW only when hitting a bump or dip? It rides fine everywhere else. It wobbles so bad you have to stop (which takes forever since there's barely any braking power during the wobble) or you will lose control. ANY HELP??? PLEASE????
You dont mention what size tire you run, but if you have a 31" or bigger a stronger steering stabilizer will help. You may also try a drop pitman arm, mabey a 3" TJ pitman arm? While it may help the DW, it may cause more bumpsteer if your trac-bar and drag link are not parralell.

just went through all the same B.S with my 3" lift and 31's!! replaced the steering stabilizer, balanced the tires(AGAIN!!), checked all my bolts, replaced the trac bar, replaced my shock bushings up front, and finally an alignment. Finally no more D,W.!!!

My local alignment guy is awesome, I asked him w.t.f. cause so much trouble with these things??? his reply " what you call d.w. an alignment man refers to as caster shake" these things seem to have a very tempermental front end under them that is multiplied when you start lifting and stiffening things up. He was able to set my caster where it needed to be and fix my shake syndrom but he warned me that if you off road a bunch make sure you make a regular habit of checking all the bolts up front regularly. He sees these things in his shop all the time after something works it's way loose and changes the caster. Just my 2 cents worth!

cool. Man that dw is frustrating! I haven't yet got my 2nd allignment since the lift (I will This week) but my dw was ended by the skyjacker stabilizer. I took off the stock one and it hardly had any resistance. The skyjacker was WAY stiff. It made my rig drive like a caddy. I only have 235/75/15 tires on now so that wasn't an issue I don't think. I still think my toe is off since putting on the Rusty's adj. trackbar and mount. It seemed almost like the new trac bar and mount had so little play and were so stiff that that was what started everything? OH well $45 for the stabilizer and I slayed my DW dragon. I feel safe behind the wheel again.
Thanks.

weird to see this post again....

I finaly got ballanced, but that did nothing, got an allignment, nothing, replaced the ss, and voila! I needed the allignment and balancing really bad too, but the ss did the trickfor me!
Codeman

The stock stabilizer is ineffective when larger tires are put on the XJ - period. When the Jeep is lifted it is extended more than normal too, which only makes matters worse.

I have my Caster, Camber, and Toe all in spec, the trackbar is relocated a little more than .5" to the right in the stock frame mount (axle centered), and I'm wobblin' a bit. I have an OME stabilizer on the way and I'm pretty confident it will do the job for me as well. (crossing fingers)

I will eventually get an adj. trackbar, but I just dumped a bunch of $$$ in the Jeep and I'm going to wait 'till the next "mod weekend" and do a bunch all at once.

its so cute, yall are like twinkies

Back