• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Long Of Bumpstops For 6.5" Lift?

Cujo

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering how long the bumpstops should be for 6.5" of lift and 35's, also, what is the best way to go about it (homemade?, kit?, etc)

Im running 2" extended uppers w/ RE 2" lowers,minimal trimming w/ 33's!

re xd 5.5" LIFT, 33" TIRES, RE 3" extended hockey puck style lower bumpstop, 2" or 3" RE extended upper bumpstop. Also minimal trimming, so with 35's I think you would still need to do quite a bit of trimming. In the back I'm currently using the fender as a bumpstop, but I am going to try to use a set of MJ bumpstops I have and possibly the dpgoffroad adjustible springplate things.

I don't think I would want to run any more bumpstop in the front as the up-travel is already quite limited. I think it's only 5" or so.

0" thats what i am running no probs here!!

stoney

There are many factors involved. I am running around 7" of lift on my '98 with 35" MTR's and 33" TSLs for the mud. I did not want to loose the flares, so I am trying to limit flex a little bit and trim within the flare line. I finally got the front to clear, but it took a bit. I am running a D44 front end with a stock D30 coil mount raised 2" over stock. On this, I have 3.5 Hockey pucks bolted down. The bump stop is a poly unit that I had to turn down to fit since it was way too big in diameter (for late model TJ's I guess.) It is extended a bit although I don't know how much. The real problem is that upon flex compression, it would simply fold over and not really stop the axle from moving. So, I added a 3/4" steel rod in the middle of the bump stop and extending up through the coil tower and into the engine bay 0.25" or so to keep the rod perpendicular. I left 1.25" of poly beyond the end of the metal rod. This bump stop still mushes off to the side quite a bit under full flex. I had to trim quite a bit in the front part of the fender to clear under flex and steering. The 35's just rub that squareish inner sheet metal area in the forward part of the wheel well when stuffed now. The front lower part of the flare is quite trimmed and pulled forward a bit. I have that very front lower edge of the flare bolted on to the fender through a tiny flange piece that the '98 style flare clamps would normally fit against. Kind of hard to describe, but most of the flare is still held on by the stock metal pieces/studs, but the very front lower edge of the trimmed flare is held on with a 6-32 bolt through that very small piece of plastic that fits against the fender. The rear of the wheel well opening is also trimmed a bit, but not that much and the flare looks pretty much stock in this area. The rear tires fit pretty well, but I am running a totally different setup than you there. I have Dodge 1500 leaves mounted backwards using a custom forward spring mount and an offset axle pad mount. I trimmed the rear of the wheel well a bit by folding the metal out and this clears the tires well. The overloads on the Dodge springs prevent too much compression so this helps too. I know this is way more inf. than you wanted, but it really is a trim/check/trim/add bump stop spacer sort of thing. Jeff

Back