• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power seat issue.....

John90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The power seats just quit.

I have power through the 30 amp circuit breaker that is shared with the power locks, which work fine. I have power to the seats. I have power through the switches. The wiring under the carpet is dry and intact. The dome light and voltmeter make no changes when the switches are engaged.

I know that the voltage is 12 volts going one way and 12 volts going the other way through the switches.

What I don't know is where the ground wire is and since I think that's the likely cuplrit, I'd like to trace it down. I can't tell from the factory wiring diagram where the ground wire is located. I've heard that they tend to get chafed and can short out.

Any ideas?

I recently purchased a 92 with power seats. Although I didn't have the same problem, I did not have power to the center control in the up position. I ended up taking the switch assembly apart and cleaning lubricating the parts. It then worked great.

My assumption is that your switch is not getting power. Have you measured the voltage from the supply cable to the power seat? If you do have power then the problem is with the seat wiring. Do you have a power seat on the passenger side? If you do, you can swap controls to determine if that is the problem.

If both controls work then the problem is between the switch assembly and the motors.

BTW: I am in need of a gear box for a power seat. Anybody have any ideas besides the bone yard? Is there another vehicle that used the same one?

sjx40250 said:
My assumption is that your switch is not getting power. Have you measured the voltage from the supply cable to the power seat? If you do have power then the problem is with the seat wiring.

If both controls work then the problem is between the switch assembly and the motors.

I have power in both directions through each portion of the three switches. The switch has been ruled out.

If I knew where the ground terminated at the motors or in the harness, I would wire a replacement bypassing the harness. I think the ground is the likely culprit since they quit abruptly, power is flowing through the switches and harness, the power locks still work and both sides are doing the same thing.

Any other ideas?

Sorry, read your initial post again. I concurr that it is a ground problem. The ground wire is black. Mine has a red stripe on it. According to my schematics, it is attached to body ground.

The supply voltage from the the PWR Accy Circuit Breaker also supplies Door locks keyless entry and trailer tow.

Do you get continuity from the body to the gound wire?

Back