• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral saftey switch

just replaced mine yesterday, '88 limited I6, auto, 242. Inside worn down almost smooth. Springy metal pickups worn down and many plastic ridges melted/worn down. $222. at Napa! worn out! Starts good, backup lights work again.

Hey Guys I Own A 88 And I Think My Switch Is Gone Too I Bought The Jeep And Owned It For 5 Days I Had Too Wiggle The Shiftter To Get It To Start Twice Then That Little Trick Stop Working Is There Any Way To Make Sure It Is The Switch And Is There A Trick To Getting It Out Cuz I Whent To Pull It Out And It Wouldnt Come Out Only Will Move Left And Right. Mabey There Is A Way To By Pass Just To Check If Its It . Also When I Trie To Start It Nothing Happens Just The Lights And Dash And Fuel Pump Can Be Seen Or Heard I Tried To Jump The Solinoid And Again Just Turns The Fuel Pump On Thanks For Any Info

first thing is dont type in all CAPS, makes it hard to read.

2nd thing is go to jeepin.com and they cover a tech article on how to clean and remove you NSS. I would try that first.

pete

So here's a question (perhaps a stupid one)... is there any way to just jumper and bypass the NSS?

I mean, it's basically just idiotproofing anyway, right? Or does it actually control the reverse lights directly as well?

My NSS had problems with the back up lights before I found out about NAXJA and the way to clean it from jeepin.com and I didn't want to spend all that money on a new one, so we just bypassed mine. I actually had my mechanic do it while it was getting inspected...as long as they turn on it's still legal. We just had them wired to a toggle switch that's right by the shifter. Works fine and I haven't had any more problems turn up yet (I've actually got a new tranny and NSS in there now, but I like having the toggle for the backups, so I didn't fix it...)

andreas970 said:
I mean, it's basically just idiotproofing anyway, right? Or does it actually control the reverse lights directly as well?
Personally I need the idiotproofing. I was much happier to spend the time to clean mine than to risk running over someone or into another car in the parking lot. You will spend the same amount of time and less money taking it off and cleaning it.

phxntninja said:
Personally I need the idiotproofing. I was much happier to spend the time to clean mine than to risk running over someone or into another car in the parking lot. You will spend the same amount of time and less money taking it off and cleaning it.

Exactly! Even if you have worn plastic just use some epoxy to build it back-up and file/dremel everything into shape. The important thing to learn about this system is how to jumper the solenoid so that if it happens on the road/trail, you can limp home and then repair. My wife has even done that since I showed her what wire to pull from the starter relay and touch that to B+ with the ignition on.

XJXJ said:
The important thing to learn about this system is how to jumper the solenoid so that if it happens on the road/trail, you can limp home and then repair. My wife has even done that since I showed her what wire to pull from the starter relay and touch that to B+ with the ignition on.

So... how?

jeepguy97 said:
Why pull wires?? Screwdriver from B+ to solenoid with the key on = jeep start.

I wouldn't do it. Maybe if it is a dedicated trail rig but that would be the only exception in my book. If it's a DD there is no way I would do it. SAFTEY! This rates right up there with the Home Depot Adj. coil spacers. I personally feel comfortable with my wife or family driving off in my xj knowing the NSS is bypassed, increasing the chances of an accident. The NSS was put on there in the first place for a reason. Just my $.02 (I don't see a cents symbol on here...):wave:

you just ground the black (I think) wire coming off the starter relay, whichever wire comes off the switch to the relay. I had to do this a while back, 5spd replaced my auto. But just don't be stupid and start it in gear.

andreas970 said:
So... how?

I only know the "exact" procedure for my '89 and similar wiring models. You didn't provide a year so??? However, on most models it should be much easier than trying to reach the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.

You're basically looking to identify the wire that connects from the relay to the starter solenoid and touch that to B+. Yep, can't be a dunce and do this in-gear, get the wrong wire and/or anything else stoopid but if you can safely understand a very basic electrical circuit, it sure beats calling a tow truck.

I am not a fan of digging up an old post but there is a problem with the NSS removal instructions from Jeepin.com. The NSS is a plastic block with an aluminum cover on the outside (drivers side) only. The side against the tranny is plastic and is very brittle. Jeepin.com reccomend prying on the switch to get it off. I pryed very gently while twisting and pulling (after soaking in Kroil for a day) and got a cracked and broken NSS block for my efforts. I was able to fix it with JB Weld and it has held so far but who knows for how long?

The problem is that the steel shaft rides inside an aluminum bushing that clamps down on the shaft as you tighten the retainer nut. Add some deep water crossings and you get serious corrosion.

If I ever do this again on another vehicle I will soak the shaft for a couple days before trying to take it apart. I use anti seize when assembling so I shouldnt have any problems with this one.

John

Back