• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR valve...

tnfan77

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently rehooked up my EGR valve, as it was disconnected before due to my vaccuum lines melting. Anyhoo, We hooked it back up and got it to pass emissions. But, the egr is sticking and there is a very noticeable hesitation around 1000 rpm. When we disconnected the egr and plugged the vacuum line, the hesitation went away. Now, the main question is, will it be ok to run my engine without the egr on until such time as i have money for a replacement? If so, could i just run it like this till next year when I have to get inspected again? Im not sure if im going to have the money, and I dont know what a new egr will cost. Will my engine become dirty with the egr off? I want it to run well.

I ran my 87 with a disabled egr for over a hundred thousand miles. Last I looked, the valve was not too awfully expensive, in the 80-100 dollar range, but I might be mistaken. On mine the egr tube itself rotted off, and the fittings were seized, and it was too much of a hassle to pull off manifold, header, etc. to replace it.

So your engine ran fine without it? Thats good, I just wanted to make sure that running the engine without the egr wouldnt leave unwanted carbon deposits. Is this so?

EGR has nothing to do with the engine getting too dirty. Exhaust gas is injected into the intake to reduce the nitrogen emissions. The exhaust gas causes the combustion temps to drop. If the combustion temps are too high, you get nitrogen compounds as a byproduct.

The other effect is it will run hot enough to impact your cooling system performance. If you are on the edge of cooling. This will make it worse.

who knows, maybe overheating eventually causing a blown head gasket, a burnt valve. its hard to tell until it happens. you know the saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that. why risk it

Back