• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyota Axle questions.....

jeepenator

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the boards and i've been looking around (yes i've used the search for all of you search nazi's....I'm just coming from JU so i know the whole bit) and i'm finding a lot of info on the 8" axle. But all my research i've still got some blanks....

1st: Is there a year option i should look for with 4.88's and an electric locker?? or am i searching for a "unicorn" of axles?

2nd: if i get a 4.88 out of a 1994 4-runner (the only year on www.car-parts.com that had the 4.88) will it be the 60" wide axle and how easy is the detroit install on these?

3rd: i have the RE SYE in right now on my D35...what needs to be done to a toyota axle after purchasing it to make it work properly in my jeep?

Thanks for all the help guys.....you seem like a smarter resource than other boards *cough* JU *cough*

Carefull on the yota axles: on the con we saw one shear of the pinion gear at the housing and after I asked about that vehicle on the rubithon board (they had a big even there) the reply was as follows:
"There were many broke pinions on Cadillac Sunday". This makes one wonder about their strength.

Oh, and that incline wasn't really that hard! The yotas attempting to go up made it look like it's going to be a lot tougher.

Kejtar said:
Carefull on the yota axles: on the con we saw one shear of the pinion gear at the housing and after I asked about that vehicle on the rubithon board (they had a big even there) the reply was as follows:
"There were many broke pinions on Cadillac Sunday". This makes one wonder about their strength.

Oh, and that incline wasn't really that hard! The yotas attempting to go up made it look like it's going to be a lot tougher.

Was he running 5.29s? It seems the curve of breakage gets steeper the deeper you go with 5.29s being the worst. It's common for the Toy guys to carry complete spare third members as opposed to axle shafts. Also, most Toy guys that are running insane reduction in the T-cases are running 4.10 diffs which are much stronger than the lower geared units. Lastly you have to look at which third member they were using. One from a V6 truck or one from a 4 cyl. All of these factors come into play.

Ary

I'm still wondering about the availability of the 4.88 w/ locker.

Granted they broke.....what's the diff (no pun intended) between the V6 and the 4cyl. models?? what i'm really wanting to know is what to look for in an axle if i go to the junk yards.

Is 4.88 too low in a yota 8"? It seems they wouldn't put something out of the factory that was prone to break like that....only jeep makes that mistake.

The Toy axles are very strong, and there is a difference between early landcruiser axles and later 8" axles.

4.88's will be very stout, so don't worru about that.

You can take a 4 runner axle (auto trans, 31 tire package) and slip either a Detroit, or an E-locker into it (some work required). I've done both. I think they are about 59.5" wide or so.

Here's the E-locker install I did for my buddy:

http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/elocker/elocker.html

CRASH

Depends on which axle you get to fit the factory e lcok into. Some will slip right in and other need to be modified. Check the toy board on Pirate4x4.com as I belive they have a complete listing of what axles can in what years, ect.

Other things you will have to keep in mind. The toy's have a 6 lug bolt pattern, need to make an adapter for the e brakes, need to convert the metric brake fitting's to the XJ's and have a new driveline/pinion flange to bolt up your existing driveline to.

Oh, and that incline wasn't really that hard! The yotas attempting to go up made it look like it's going to be a lot tougher.[/QUOTE]

I didn't make it quite to Cadilac Hill/Big Sluice, how was that area? Is it harder/easier than the Middle Sluice/True Big Sluice after Little Sluice? I went a little farther than Buck Island Lake and then went back to camp after the 85' Yota I was with broke a birfield and we had to repair it on the trail.

CRASH said:
The Toy axles are very strong, and there is a difference between early landcruiser axles and later 8" axles.

4.88's will be very stout, so don't worru about that.

You can take a 4 runner axle (auto trans, 31 tire package) and slip either a Detroit, or an E-locker into it (some work required). I've done both. I think they are about 59.5" wide or so.

Here's the E-locker install I did for my buddy:

http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/elocker/elocker.html

I've heard that the Toy 8" is stronger than a dana 44. Do you agree based on your experience Crash? My buddy broke a birfield in his 85' Toy with 37" mtrs and 5.29 gears and dual t-cases. I know birfields are a problem that many toy guys go with dana units at least in the front like a dana 44.
Troy

CRASH

steinjeep said:

I didn't make it quite to Cadilac Hill/Big Sluice, how was that area? Is it harder/easier than the Middle Sluice/True Big Sluice after Little Sluice? I went a little farther than Buck Island Lake and then went back to camp after the 85' Yota I was with broke a birfield and we had to repair it on the trail.
It was dark and we were too tired to really appreciate it, but the cadillac hill and big sluice were nowhere near as hard as I expected them to be. Cadillac hill was actually a walk in the park!

So CRASH.... would it be easier to get an axle with the locker already in it and set it up for 4.88 gears?? or other way around. I don't have a welder but i feel comfortable drilling tapping etc. ( after the RE hack 'n tap i think i'm good).

Sounds like i'm gonna be in the market for an 8"....what's a good year if any to get one out of?

jeepenator said:
So CRASH.... would it be easier to get an axle with the locker already in it and set it up for 4.88 gears?? or other way around. I don't have a welder but i feel comfortable drilling tapping etc. ( after the RE hack 'n tap i think i'm good).

Sounds like i'm gonna be in the market for an 8"....what's a good year if any to get one out of?

I'd get a late model Tacoma or 4-Runner E-locker housing and set it up with new 4.88's.

They are a touch wider than Gen 3 trucks, like 60.5" I think.

CRASH

I've never actually measured my wms to wms on my Taco axle, but I do know that with 35x12.50s and 3.75" of BS on a 15x8. I've got about 3/8" of clearance between the tire and the leafs. I'm working on getting wheels with less BS to resolve this issue, but the rear axle definately isn't noticeably wider than stock, and may even be a hair narrower(but again I haven't measured exactly).

Ary

jeepenator said:
2nd: if i get a 4.88 out of a 1994 4-runner (the only year on www.car-parts.com that had the 4.88) will it be the 60" wide axle and how easy is the detroit install on these?

3rd: i have the RE SYE in right now on my D35...what needs to be done to a toyota axle after purchasing it to make it work properly in my jeep?

2. No. it is the narrow axle. All pre 86 are are narrow axles. The third member witht eh gears would be interchangeable.
3. Sye is Transfercase, not axle. You will need to buy a toyota yoke adaptor. toyota uses different U-joints then jeeps with 1310s.

toy axles are for light toyotas with small motors. not much of an upgrade on a heavier Xj with a much larger motor...

My wheelin buddie till runs his 86 toy rear with 38s, but its a really light buggy with no body, and the stock motor with a 4:1 case and 4.88s.

The center pin broke, his lock right broke, the pinnion broke but due to a broke lift block. But has not broke a rear shaft yet.... The front d44 has broke a lock right, broke afew shafts, and bent afew ears.

I wouldent put one under a cherokee.

Aren't the newest toy axles 8.25" and even stronger? You can't get them with the e-lockers, but from what I read in one of the mags, the newest 8.25 toy axles are stronger than the 8" ones, and they're the right width I believe.

I have a Toy 8" in the rear of my MJ, it's a GREAT swap. stronger than a D44, better than D35 clearance. Perfect for 35s. Toyota guys run them fairly reliably even with 37 and 38.5" tires on some of the hardest trails (AZ and Hammers). Everyone likes to point out that Toyotas usually have a 110hp 4 cylinder, but what they miss is that many Yotas are heavier than ours, many people have swapped 4.3l V6s and left the Toy axle, and many of the guys running the 4cyl have 200:1 crawl ratio which is putting more torque to the axles than our 190hp motors with 60:1. They're cheap and plentiful too. I would definitely reccomend it for up to 35-37 inch tires (depending on terrain and driving style).

you can see some details of my swap at the link in my signature.

Back