• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Woes

studmanken

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. First, I just joined the forum and wanted to say hi. Second, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with transmission problems on the AW4. Unfortunately, at Paragon a few weeks ago, I managed to get mud in the tranny from a defective ATF filler tube. I got the tranny a full flush and it ran great for about half a day. Then, when I put it in drive, I would have to rev it up to around 2000 rpm to get it to move. So, I took apart the valve body and cleaned it, as well as the one accesible piston. Now, it runs fine at low RPM's, but when I'm driving around 40 MPH and floor the accelerator, it slips trying to get into 2nd before kicking in and finally pulling. Also, an engine code came on saying the #2 Shifting Solenoid was stuck open. If anyone could help me, I would appreciate any insight on whether replacing the solenoid will alleviate the problem, or if I'm going to have to rebuild it. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

I dont know a whole lot about trannys but my 90 has the AW4 and I just had it rebuilt last week. It was showing very similar symptoms. I had to gun it to 2000 rpms to get it to move and once I got it going it had trouble shifting. Anyway I think it will probably need a rebuild but if you can replace just the solenoid go for it.

Back