• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lopsided XJ

Rough 01

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with HP D30 and the 8.25 axles and I just installed a RE 4.5" Superflex kit w/OME shocks. My XJ is now visably 1-2" taller on the drivers side. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? It is visable front and back.

I first noticed it after I finished off roading it today. I tried to put the JKS quick disconnects back on and it wouldn't fit back on the drivers side. I had to adjust the QD's in order to put it back on. Then I drove to a gas station to air up and when I check the QD's again I was able to readjust back to where it was and it fit no problem.

Thanks,
Rough

your leaf springs are probably sagged a little on one side from the axle torqing up the leaves.

I put the lift on yesterday so I would hope that the leaf pack hasn't sagged already and how would the shackles in the rear affect the the lean in the front?

Thanks,
Rough

The lower seat for you front coils have a spot for the end tip of the coil to sit in, if one of the coils is twisted around and not sitting in the correct spot it will cause one side to sit higher than the other

If one rear corner is too high, that pushes down on the front corner diagonally opposite.

When you installed the rear springs, did you leave the front spring eye bolts and all the shackle bolts loose until you dropped the vehicle back on the ground, then tighten them up? If you tightened them with the vehicle jacked up and the axle hanging, the bushings probably bound up and essentially preloaded the suspension. Try loosening all the bolts holding the rear springs and shackles, bounce on the rear bumper a few times, then tighten everything down again.

Eagle,
I did tighten the rear bolts with it unloaded. After work tomorrow I will loosen them all, bounce the rear end a couple of times, and then retighten.

FullsizeXJ,
I was a little worried about the front coils. I'll check tomorrow to make sure that it's seated correctly. I don't think it is but after 2 solid days of wrenching in 90* weather I probably made a mistake or two.

Thanks to everyone for your advice,
Rough

I have the 8" skyjacker lift on my XJ and had to replace the rear spring packs 2 times because of bent springs from skyjacker. I finally got a somewhat straight pack, wheeled one weekend and they bent up on the very back of the spring pack.

Not happy at all with skyjackers leaf springs. I live just down the road from Donovan spring here in NH so I was thinking of calling skyjacker for a refund to go buy some decent leafs. After all that lift was $2500.00 bucks.

Back