• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Axles

RubiconExp.XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay well im tryin to find some dana 44's f/r for my cherokee. I was in Bama the other day and found one but im not sure what it came from and if it would fit under mine...Had this tag on it 44-5CF whatever than means if anyone knows anything about it or knows and websites or what tell please..thanks

you aint gonna find a front D44 that will bolt right in. The rears are out there you just gotta look.
Do a search this has dun been gon over.
But its gotta be springover I forget the width of the perches.
DIG IT!

My personal recommendation would be a front 44 out of a Jeep wagoneer. Just make sure it's not the vac disco version. For the rear, I would go rodeo/passport d44. Both of these options will give correct width, 6 lugs, and disc brakes all around.

But then again its what im building so of course i think its the best option :roll:

xjrugger said:
if the rodeo is 6 lug, why wouldn't u search a little more for an xj d44 rear which is 5 lug?

Good call, and up here in Canada you can find 'em plenty, eh? (due to the commonality of d44 rears in Canadian sold cherokees) But down where y'all are they're rare, and when you do find one you can bet the guy knows what he has and expects you to pay for it. Going with the rodeo/waggy plan means you end up with 6-luggers all round and since lots of people change their wheels in the course of modifications.... its a cheap way to go.

Last edited:
xjrugger said:
if the rodeo is 6 lug, why wouldn't u search a little more for an xj d44 rear which is 5 lug?

If you're only changing the rear axle that would be the easiest way to go. If you're alreaady planning on putting in a waggy 44 front, the rodeo 44 will give you a matching bolt pattern and disc brakes. If you don't care about the disc brakes then pulling both axles from a waggy would be easier.

xjrugger said:

I have an xj d44 thats 5 lug, want it?

I need 6 lug cuz im runnin a waggy 44 up front. My rodeo 44 only cost me $150 - minus calipers unfortunatly.

Back