• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about going to 4.5"

Scott Williams

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a Rusty's 3" Full spring pack lift kit last year. As I've posted before, I've never really been completely happy with it mainly because the rear ended up being 4"+ lift and it was noticable just looking at the Jeep. It hasn't settled at all since the install.
Now Rusty's has his 4.5" front springs on sale for $100 and I'm thinking of getting them to level it up. I also just ordered Kevin's Off Road's trackbar conversion kit which I have yet to install, so I thought I'd get the springs and install both at the same time. Any comments or suggestions? Will the shocks I have that came with the 3" lift be OK at 4.5"?
Thanks!

i read a post at one of these jeep site( i think it was the australian go jeep?)
who booty fabbed a shock spacer.
im not sure it worked for him in the long run, but if it time and money are
to be considered, it might be worth it

I had the same problem with my Rusty's 3" kit. I just put in a Daystar 1.75" spacer up front. I'am also using the same shocks that the 3" kit came with. With the stock control arms still on, my droop in front is limited, so the shock does not get fully extended. I'm going to be replacing my lower control arms soon, so I'll upgrade to some longer shocks then. Overall I'm happy with the Rusty's kit.

Depending on the brand of shocks - my BDS shocks which came with my 3" kit or maxing out with my roughly 4" I now have. They limit my rear travel.

I'd say yes they will need replacing, but again it depends on your wheeling and immediate plans. Just driving around, fire-road running - that kind of thing - they'll be fine.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm certainly not planning on doing any serious rock crawling anyway (not that there are any around here...)
One of you mentioned spacers, I've got .75" ones on the front now, but that's not enough. I figured since Rusty's coils are on sale now, I may as well go that route and just get rid of the spacers, but I'll take a look at other options too.

Back