• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Hidden Hitch & Factory Gas Tank Skid interferance

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm tying to put on a factory gas tank skid I picked up used for my 96XJ. I took off my hidden hitch and tryied to line them up on the garage floor. If I read the FSM correctly, the order is hitch, skid, frame; but the hitch won't fit over the skid when lined up on the garage floor. Am I lining everything up right? In the thread below about hitch compatibality, it seems like no one has had this issue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

I think so, they guy I bought it from said it was for a up to 96 XJ. How would I tell? Is it marked somewhere?

Also, do I remove the plastic under my gask tank or put the skid over it?

Thanks
Mike

xj-boonie said:
I think so, they guy I bought it from said it was for a up to 96 XJ. How would I tell? Is it marked somewhere?

Also, do I remove the plastic under my gask tank or put the skid over it?

Thanks
Mike
Take a utility knife and trim down the plastic shield,cut it flush with the side of the tank.
I dont think the skids are marked any way.Is the hitch too narrow or what? Wayne

Yes, the hitch is too narrow.

Do I trim all of the plastic away cept whats under the straps?

Mike

xj-boonie said:
Yes, the hitch is too narrow.

Do I trim all of the plastic away cept whats under the straps?

Mike
No. Trim a strip about 1-1/4" wide off each outer end of the pastic shield and leave the rest.

You have the steel tank, right? The hitch goes up first, then the skid goes up outside (under) that. I put a Hidden Hitch on an '88 last year and it was a perfect fit with the factory skid.

The order is reversed on the newer XJs with the plastic gas tank. On the new ones, the skid goes on first, then the hitch.

Eagle,

I've got the metal tank. I'll try it tomorrow. I thought the FSM showed the skid first then the hitch... I'll have to look at it again.

Thanks again,
Mike

Back