• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How high of lift with stock control arms???

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
:confused:

I would think that 3" is a reasonable height. Any more than that you need adjustables and at 6" or so you need to think about either a drop bracket or long arms. I ran 6" with adjustables before building my LA setup and the difference in ride is unbelievable.

i am at 5.5" with RE non-adjustable short arms and i can honestly say i have no problems with the ride, handling, and death wobble.. actually has less harsh ride than my DD with 3" lift... ideally i would go with adjustables but i honestly dont see a need to mess with my current set up right now.. i do run it on the highway at 65mph as well, and that is limited by some front d/shaft vibes which might go away with some adjustables too... it is mainly a trail rig but it sees DD duty a few days a week just for the hell of it... my next step will definately be a CLAYTONS L/A set up...

mike

I's say 3-4", and you might get away with 5" for awhile, but it's far from ideal. I'd keep it to 4" max, with the stock factory control arms. And start saving $$ towards a good set of adjustable arms.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Yeah, remember the question was how much with "stock" control arms, not close to stock length aftermarket CA's.

:)

right now im at 5 with stock control arms but some aftermarkets are in the near future, they accuatly ride fine if u ask me, im sure the ride would be beter with long arms but i dont have the money for them right now.

kolby

i am actully have a 2 lift homemade runing 31 but it needs more lift i planing to get a 4.5 front springs and aal on the back and the shocks and the brake lines, and i was planin to change the stock control arms but my budget is a little low, can i still have the stock control arms whit this lift or do i need something else on the lift

I wheeled & DD my MJ at 4.75" (3" coil/1.75" spacer) with stock uppers/lowers with no real problems.<edit> It was NOT an ideal setup, but worked well enough to have a lot of fun, and held up to the trails out here <edit>

I added YJ lower brake hoses and an adjustable track bar to re-center the axle.

More droop could have been found by trimming the rearmost part of the shock mounts. (the LCAs contact that 'lip')

"Ride quality" is a pretty haughty concept when the rig routinely gets the crap beat out of it... any ride home that ain't atop a rollback wrecker is a good ride home IMO.

Last edited:
I'm running 6" with stock control arms. The ride is fine but LA's are in the works. I do go through alot of them becuase I blow out the bushings or bend them but I usually get them free from people that upgrade and I have a pile of them right now. Jeff CamoXJ

giranger said:
I'm running 6" with stock control arms. The ride is fine but LA's are in the works. I do go through alot of them becuase I blow out the bushings or bend them but I usually get them free from people that upgrade and I have a pile of them right now. Jeff CamoXJ

I think that very clearly says that 6 inches is too much for stock control arms.

:)

Highest lift for stock lowers is 2".

For stock uppers 3".

After that you are just pushing your luck until you have problems like align. specs, DW, or even bent brken crap on the trail.

But like always just MHO. :D

hinkley

I am at 4" with rustys longer lower control arms on the bottom, and stock on the top. The guy that did my alignment after I lifted it strongly suggested I at least get longer lowers...so I got them on and everything looks good now (my axle isn't pushed back or anything) but if I were to go higher, I would definitely get longer uppers.

Back