• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New connectign rods

BrianC

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of rebuilding a spare motor for transplant into my XJ. I was hoping to recondition the rods that were in it but one is bent. :gee: I am assuming this is not the way it came from the factory. Anyone know where I can buy new rods? If not, what is the best price you have found on reconnditioned rods?

Personally I have never bought just a single rod, I've always bought them in sets, same with pushrods and pistons, just one of those things I was taught when growing up like not pissing into the wind, calling a cop who pulled me over 'sir', etc.
They do have 'master rebuild kits' for engines that come in various stages from a basic kit with all the gaskets, rings, seals then the next stage has that plus new rods, next one up has rods and pistons. You might be better off this way instead of mixing and matching, at least in the kit they will all weigh the same.
Same with valve jobs, I've never done just one intake or one exhaust, if I have the head or heads on the workbench I do them all.
It really sucks if you miss a crack after all that work..

BrianC said:
I am in the process of rebuilding a spare motor for transplant into my XJ. I was hoping to recondition the rods that were in it but one is bent. :gee: I am assuming this is not the way it came from the factory. Anyone know where I can buy new rods? If not, what is the best price you have found on reconnditioned rods?

You can get a new rod from http://www.tapcointernational.com/4.htm
It's OK to buy a single rod but make sure that it matches the others in size and weight. I'd advise you to get the other rods magnafluxed to make sure there are no cracks before reusing them.

Back