• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling Q's.... again

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've finally broken down and ordered some new cooling stuff. Im putting in a stroker this winter probably and decided that I should do a new radiator and what not when it's still hot outside to see how much it's going to work.

So, I ordered a 180* t-stat so far. I was going to order my CSF radiator from Dirk friday, but by the time I was ready, they were closed, so I have to wait until Monday. Is there anything else that you guys could recommend that I buy? I also ordered a bigger auto tranny cooler, a 12,000 GVW unit. Is that alot better than stock?

Do you recommend that I buy anything else, like new upper and lower hoses or a new h2o pump, or anything like that? I think while everything is out, I might build a new shroud and wire my elec. fan to a switch as well.

I'm assuming that the CSF is going to be a "drop-in" and the tranny cooler should go in fairly easy as well? I might as well get a tranny temp gauge and a new water temp gauge because mine might not be correct.

Never assume anything, hoses are probably a good idea as you will have everything open while you are working on it. The dealer OEM hoses to me are the best, they have the correct bends, go in the same holders alonside the motor, have the spring and friction covers over the two main hoses and the heater hoses have the clamps already on them.
When you replace the heater hoses don't try to pull them off, cut or move the clamp and use a sharp xacto or razor knife to slit them lengthwise, then gently peel them off. Don't want to break off or otherwise damage those heater core bungs or you will be investing another 8-12 hours learing how to remove and reinstall the dashboard to put a new heater core in.

Alright, I guess I'll just go to Napa to get new hoses, and yeah, I know, I should never assume anything, "hoping" I would be the right word I guess. Thanks for the advice.

woody431 said:
Alright, I guess I'll just go to Napa to get new hoses, and yeah, I know, I should never assume anything, "hoping" I would be the right word I guess. Thanks for the advice.

For the radiator hoses go to the dealer,Napa hoses don,t have the same length spring in them.
Napa will be fine for any other parts.
Wayne

You didn't state what year you are running. Make sure and convert to an open system if yours is a closed system now. That plastic bottle should be made into a rectal implant for whoever designed that system.

Back