• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wind noise

xjpsych

NAXJA Member #657
I know that the Cherokee is a brick moving through air, but has anyone found ways to decrease the wind noise. It is particularly windy in this part of the world and the noise is annoying.

What year is your Cherokee? The '97 and newer ones have some additional wind seals not found on the older ones, but they can be added. That might help. Also, if you really want to go for broke, you can replace the older front door windows with the one-piece style from the newer ones. That will also reduce wind noise.

When I bought my 90 (in 90), it had excessive wind noise. Turned out that the windshield trim "flapped in the breeze". The dealer took it off and stuck in some RTV to keep it from buzzing. The windshield has been replaced since but the noise has not returned. This one has the wing windows that open

My 92 has solid glass. I really can't tell the difference in wind noise because the 92 windshield trim....

The worst part about wing windows that open is they leak water all over the speakers, which rot over time!

If wind noise was the only issue I could come up with :woohoo:

I have a '92 XJ. This vehicle has a lot of wind noise that enters between the wind wing and the rubber seals on both dirver and passenger doors. I guess the rubber just got old and relaxed a little. Anyway the old rubber doesn't make contact with the glass. It doesn't take much of a gap to let significant wind noise in. You can tell if this is a problem by temporarily placing tape over the rubber-glass contact points.

Others on this forum have suggested placing 25 cent coins between the wind wing lever and the door post. This causes the wind wing to close more and will bring the glass into contact with the rubber. Good as far as it goes but every time you open the wind wind the quarter falls out and goes under the seat.

I removed my wind wing levers (by tapping out the press pins with a punch and light hammer), then drilled through them beginning at the point where the small plastic bump piece (which I pulled out) is located. This plastic bump is what actually touches the door post. I drilled all the way through so the opposite side of the hole is visable when the lever is in normal use. I threaded this hole 1/40-20 and placed a screw into it, first placing a nut onto the screw for a lock. I re-assembled the lever onto the wind wing. When in the closed position I can now adjust the screw to press aganst the door post and close the wind wing more tightly. Just like the quarter but it doesn't fall out.

So far so good... the wind noise is greatly reduced. Now I can hear the gear train. Yes, it's a jeep and I don't expect to hear the radio, but every little bit helps.

Back