• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some XJ T-case help BAD!!!

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
I went to work on my transfer case out of my 98' XJ( NP231 case ) today as it had developed a loud clicking sound coming from the drivers side of the t-case, something was going on with the chain. Well I was talking to Chris Lasater(CagedXJ), and he was saying that maybe a bearing was shot as my front yoke was too movable, almost somewhat loose when shaking the driveshaft. I go to start working on it by draining it, when......there is no tranny fluid in there AT ALL. I have been driving it around ALOT too, so I am also hoping I didn't fry my T-case. I installed an AA SYE a little while ago, and had put enough tranny fluid in there as I was supposed to, so somewhere it was leaking. Right now I am in the process of trying to take out the T-case from the vehicle so I can get a better look at it, and not have to work on it from under the vehicle. I know there are six bolts holding the T-case onto the rest of the drivetrain, but I cannot for the life of me get them off. I was wondering if anyone has taken this out, and how in the hell did they get those six bolts off, or how did they get the T-case out? The bolts are hard to get too, so am I approaching this wrong. Im 17 and have little knowledge of the engine, so if I had to somehow deal with that to get this sucker off, im not in the best position. If anyone could tell me what to do or give some advice, it would be GREATLY appreciated as this is my DD, and I was hopin to have the T-case dealt with today, but at thhe moment its not looking like thats going to happen.

The right tools make it a little easier, I found that a 1/4" drive socket with an extension fits above the case better than other stuff. And also those ratcheting open end wrenches are helpfull. Its not an easy thing to do. And hard as hell to put back in by yourself. Good luck.

freerider15 said:
I have taken the crossmemeber off before and it only lower the T-case half a foot or so...not enough to be valuable.

how much room are you looking for? if you can't reach a bolt with 6" of room then you don't need to be working on your jeep.

The problem is that some of the bolts are on there good enough to where really gettin some leverage on them is hard. Im still gonna keep trying at it, cause I know its going to be hard, im just looking for any ways to make it easier.

Back