• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 4.5" lift ??

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just order the RE 4.5" lift and 3.4" coil spacer for my 89 xj w/ 242. I am planning on a 1" t-case drop. Will I need anything else, long rear d shaft, axle shims, sye?? Anyone have a similar setup? If so, what problems did you have if any?

i have 3 inch coils and two spacers up front and aal a block and shackle in the back. all i have is a tc lowering kit. it works ok but a driveshaft and sye are in the near future. i have about 7 inches of lift.

wow, 7 inch lift and no sye?? vibes not that bad, or you just like em? Most people say to get an sye even for a 3 in lift....

How was the TC lowering kit install? It appears only to be a few bolts (pics?)
Is it necessary for a 3.5" lift?

I do not have a pic of any, but I have one on my 98. They are basically just either 1" square stock with two holes drilled in it, or they are just 1" machined spacers that go between the "frame" and the the crossmember on each side.
The part about being necessary or not depends on the situation. From what I have heard the 84-96 xj are not as prone to vibes as 97-01. With 3.5" of lift one a 97-01, either a t case drop, or an sye are just about always necessary. On the 84-96 with 3.5" of lift, it may not be needed.

Right now I have a 93' with 6.5" of lift, some slight vibes at 40-45 mph. then they go away. I check and grease the joints about every other month. I have a 1" tc drop, OEM drive shaft, long slip yoke, mannual tranny and 87' D35 with the Datstar 1.5" rear shackle. If you have an AT, then try to find a MT drive shaft, it is a bit longer.

Trust me get an SYE, I don't know why I have had so much luck with it. Even at full flex no problems.

Back