• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any opinions on on my first lift?

Drake00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I will be installing my first lift ever on my 2000 4.0 2wd XJ. Yes a 2wd. Anyway, here is my bugeted plan (I'm in college for one more year). I want to install a Rough Country 4.5" AAL (any opinions on this kit?) The reason I want this lift is because I can get it for $450 shipped, that is my desired budget for a lift. With this lift I want to know if I will see any problems in my driveline (vibrations). I don't want to have to do a SYE and a new driveline. With this lift I will be looking to put 32x11.5x15 MTR's on 15x8 wheels (by the way what backspacing should i look for?). I want to use this set up as a daily driver with an occasional easy trail run. I want to know what I would expect out of this combo. Please give me any suggestions or feedback on my planned setup.

i wont bash you for th e2 wd thing.. but i'm sure someone will.. i am curious about the rear driveshaft on the 2 wd model... if it were 4 wd i would tell you to EXPECT vibration issues but being a different set up it may not be as big a deal.... good luck with the lift and start saving for a 4wd conversion....

mike

don't go with rough country dude... I agree with the RE lift. you can get a 3.5 in super ride for like $375. if it's your dd why not get some 31" bfg all terrain great tread wear on the road, great grip off. just my opinion

Backlash is right, once you go passed 3 1/2 or 4'' of lift and 31 tires you'll have alot of other issues to deal with.With a limited budget you'll be happier with smaller.This is my height now and I'm wanting to go to 6" and with 33's , it going to be expensive!

Remember if you're going to be running 32's on stock gears, assuming you have 3.55's, it's going to suck. 31's are liveable and with a 3" lift, you may or may not get away with being able to use a T-Case drop and shims.

And besides, if it's your DD and an occasional trail rig, why not just get a 2" bb and get a set of agressive 30" M/T's and get tow points and run? Maybe just lock your rear axle with a no-slip and you're good to go.

What is the intended effect of this lift? If you only plan to run trails that are 2wd friendly then just throw some 235/75-15's on the stock rims and have fun. I ran a lot of trails with the stock suspension and 235's.

If you are going to lift I have to agree with the comment about the 2" budget boost and 30" MT's. Maybe better (cheaper) yet, find some up-country coils and leafs at a junk yard and run 30" MT's under them. Either option will cost a lot less money and be more than enough for 2WD trails. Use the money you save on tow points and armor.

If you really are set on 32x11.5's on 15x8 rims, that is what I am running on by 1999 XJ. I have 4.5" backspacing and could not ask for a better fit.

I can tell you that the stock leaf springs from late model XJ's sag a lot once they have been on the trail a bit. I do not recommend anything but replacing the entire leaf pack.

-Brian

Drake00XJ said:
I will be installing my first lift ever on my 2000 4.0 2wd XJ. Yes a 2wd. Anyway, here is my bugeted plan (I'm in college for one more year). I want to install a Rough Country 4.5" AAL (any opinions on this kit?) The reason I want this lift is because I can get it for $450 shipped, that is my desired budget for a lift. With this lift I want to know if I will see any problems in my driveline (vibrations). I don't want to have to do a SYE and a new driveline. With this lift I will be looking to put 32x11.5x15 MTR's on 15x8 wheels (by the way what backspacing should i look for?). I want to use this set up as a daily driver with an occasional easy trail run. I want to know what I would expect out of this combo. Please give me any suggestions or feedback on my planned setup.

Another thought... If you simply have to take your 2WD on the trail then you might want a lunchbox locker too. At least then you will have both your rear wheels working for you... 2WD will only get you so far.

-Brian

Thanks for all of the great feedback so far. I will definetely stay away from Rough Country and I will change to the 3.5 RE Super Ride ($350 plus free shipping). I want to know what would be the best shocks to run with this kit (I emailed FullsizeXj about shocks for this kit too). I will use 31x10.5x15 GY MTR's on my stock 15x7 ecco wheels. Oh yeah, In August I am putting on a full Flowmaster Hi-Flow exhaust. After I lift and am I able to get more money, I will try to put a locker in the rear. So anyway, what shocks?

BrianJr said:
Another thought... If you simply have to take your 2WD on the trail then you might want a lunchbox locker too. At least then you will have both your rear wheels working for you... 2WD will only get you so far.

-Brian

What is a lunchbox locker?

Lunchbox locker is refered to as a locker that replaces your spider gears and is "supposed" to take an hour (lunch hour) to install. I'm running a No-Slip in mine now and would highly recommend it (I have the 8.25 axle). It makes up for a lot when you don't have 4wd.

BTW, I just went with a RE 4.5" lift and now have some Up-Country springs, shocks, and 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T for sale cheap. ;) PM me if you're interested.

Later,
Rough

Back