• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anybody make a high flow waterpump..

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
For 2001 XJ. Hesco does not yet.
Anybody know?

Have you tried Flowkooler. Their list only goes up to a 98 but it might be worth checking out. Their number is 805-544-8841. Dunno if itll help but its worth a shot.

Mike

Did somebody say FlowKooler?!?!?!??

Don't get me started!! :flamemad:

If Hesco doesn't have one for you yet, I'd go w. a stock replacement. Don't waste your money on a FlowKooler.

Last edited:
XJZ said:
Did somebody say FlowKooler?!?!?!??

Don't get me started!! :flamemad:

If Hesco doesn't have one for you yet, I'd go w. a stock replacement. Don't waste your money on a FlowKooler.

Tell us about it, I was wondering the same thing??

Joe said:
Tell us about it, I was wondering the same thing??

After sending back my third pump in 2-3 months (?) all with bad bearings, I told FlowKooler to just send me my money back. They ultimately did, but it was a REAL pain in the butt.

The FlowKooler is a cheap pump, with just a sheetmetal disk riveted to the back of the impeller. Wow!! (n)

I then got the Hesco pump, it's beautious! :loveu: Don't know exactly how much it helped the cooling, because I decided to change the radiator at the same time. But the combo works great!!

Bought my FlowKooler 5 years ago and haven't had any problems. Doubt I will ever buy a High Flow pump again. I don't think they do anything measurable. Anybody have real data?

I recently bought a 92 and found it had a GDI 3 row installed. It runs great. Checked the thermostat and it was a 180. Changed to 195 without any problems.

IMHO, cooling problems are cooling problems, not design problems. From now on, my first suspect will be the fan clutch.

I've had a Flowkooler in my 4.0 for the last 4 years and 56k miles with no problems at all so far. It dropped my coolant temps. by 15-20*F when driving on the highway in 115*F mid-summer heat so I'm happy.

Compare this: http://www.hescosc.com/HFW.html to a sheet metal disk and a couple of rivets. :)

Actually, when FlowKlunker sent me the third pump, it had a different housing than the first two. The third one, had a tight bend in it, which looked like it would really hamper flow and the housing material was real thin, with Made in Japan stamped on it. They told me it was their "new and improved design". Yeah, right...more like a cheaper source so they could stick more profit in their pockets. The first two were the factory syle housing, which I would rather have any day over their new design. In fact Hesco uses the Mopar housing. Hesco's may be a little more then a FlowKooler, but the quality difference is night and day.

:soapbox:

Dr. Dyno said:
I've had a Flowkooler in my 4.0 for the last 4 years and 56k miles with no problems at all so far. It dropped my coolant temps. by 15-20*F when driving on the highway in 115*F mid-summer heat so I'm happy.

With no other mods? Your pump must have been clogged.

No, actually my original 118k mile old pump was leaking badly from the weep hole so it needed to be replaced.
I've been able to compare my Flowkooler to when my OEM pump was good and the Flowkooler is definitely better hands down. I can really tell the difference when I'm scaling a long highway incline; the coolant temp. gauge rises much more slowly with the Flowkooler than it did with the OEM pump.

I have replaced every component of my cooling system one piece at a time. I installed a Flowkooler water pump and it made absolutely no measurable difference at all in operating tempurature whether at idle in traffic or cruising down the highway. I have not however had any problems with it and it's got about 40,000 miles on it. I would either go with a stock replacement or check out the Hesco. The money can be better spent elseware!

David Tucker said:
I have replaced every component of my cooling system one piece at a time. I installed a Flowkooler water pump and it made absolutely no measurable difference at all in operating tempurature whether at idle in traffic or cruising down the highway. I have not however had any problems with it and it's got about 40,000 miles on it. I would either go with a stock replacement or check out the Hesco. The money can be better spent elseware!

Chances are the Hesco doesn't do much either ( :dunno: ), but that aluminum turbine sure is pretty!!

David Tucker said:

Did you fit a balanced thermostat with it like recomended? Robert Shaw ones are meant to be the best as the stock ones have a lot of trouble opening against the extra flow so you are no better off. Should fit a high flow thermostat housing as well. You have to see it like the engine, no point increasing the flow at one point just to have it ram into the next bottle neck!

XJZ said:
After sending back my third pump in 2-3 months (?) all with bad bearings, I told FlowKooler to just send me my money back. They ultimately did, but it was a REAL pain in the butt.

The FlowKooler is a cheap pump, with just a sheetmetal disk riveted to the back of the impeller. Wow!! (n)

I then got the Hesco pump, it's beautious! :loveu: Don't know exactly how much it helped the cooling, because I decided to change the radiator at the same time. But the combo works great!!

I can't afford the Hesco right now (or soon) but I do have a new oem sitting in a box... Anybody have a source for the sheetmetal disk kit or a write-up on it? Pros or cons on doing it? TIA

Gil

Yep, I installed a bored out thermostat housing and a Robert Shaw 160 degree thermostat before I installed the Flowkooler. The absolute biggest difference I found was in the replacement of the radiator with a three core from Turbo City. But I way overpaid for it (it was before I discovered this board) and it only lasted two years before it crapped out. I just replaced it with the two row Modine from Napa and it's running cooler than it ever has, and the craftsmanship of the Modine is so much better than the previous one that their not even comparable.

Dave

Back