• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling issue fixed....new tip for burping closed system

czidesigns

NAXJA Forum User
I want to say "Thanks" to everyone who gave advice on my cooling problems. It has been ongoing for a year now and my waterpump was the only thing in the cooling system that I had not replaced. It just started puking yesterday morning so I replaced it. After a fill and flush my high speed overheat problem is gone. I don't know for sure if it was the waterpump or an air bubble but I did come up with what seems to me to be the easiest way ever to burp the closed system.

First install a flush and fill kit in the heater hose that splits off to the top of the pressure tank. Disconnect the line to the top of the pressure tank and plug it (3/8" socket extension was almost perfect) so water if forced to travel through the system and not just dump into the tank. Fill the cooling system with water from a hose attached to the flush and fill "T" connection. Make sure the pressure cap is off of the bottle so water can get out (essentially a regular backflush). Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes while the hose is still flowing. Turn off engine and disconnect garden hose. At this point the engine is burped but has no antifreeze in it. You will need a fluid transfer pump (parts store $10) to pump antifreeze into the system and a garden hose repair end to mate the pump hose to the flush and fill "T" ($3 at hardware store). The idea is to connect the outlet of the pump to the flush and fill "T" and pump full strength antifreeze into the water that is in the block and hoses. Make sure to get all the air out of the transfer hoses before making the connection at the "T". The closed system holds 12 quarts of fluid, so I pumped in a bit over a gallon and a half of straight antifreese because some diluted green stuff does start to spill out of the pressure bottle. When you are happy with how much antifreeze you have put in unplug the transfer pump and cap the "T", unplug the top hose to pressure tank and reattach it to the tank, put cap back on pressure tank and start the engine and let it idle for a bit to check for anything crazy. Watch for proper thermostat operation and check for leaks before driving. Drive for a bit and get the water and antifreeze mixed completely. After letting the system cool check to see that there is enough antifreeze in the system (to give adequate protection for your climate) with an antifreeze tester. If more antifreeze is needed remove some of the solution from the tank and put in straight antifreeze to your satisfaction. This seemed to work perfect, for me, and I definately don't have any cooling issues any more. If someone sees a reason why it shouldn't work or tries it and just loves it, I would like to hear comments. Thanks again for all the help.

Back