• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

only one headlight works

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
so i was working on my XJ today and putting in new bulbs... now the passenger side doesn't work. i thought it may be the bulb so i switched it up and the bulbs are fine. is there two fuses for the headlights? the passenger side works fine, its the driver side harness that doesn't work now! what can i check?

brandon

Check the ground connection.

According to your profile, you have a '98. If that's the case, then the fuses for your headlights are:

#3 and #4 - Driver's side hi/low beams
#5 and #16 - Passenger's side hi/low beams

You can find the fuses behind the front passenger side kick plate.

Ivan

shimmy said:
thanks Ivan, that was the problem! i feel like an idiot!

brandon
:cheers:

whats up with this? now when i turn the car off, my lights come back on and flash like strobe lighting! whats this? never even heard of it before

shimmy said:
whats up with this? now when i turn the car off, my lights come back on and flash like strobe lighting! whats this? never even heard of it before
TTT this is really pissing me off! could this be the switch?

not sure what to tell ya. that was my only idea, since a lot of alarms flash the headlights when the are going off. i'm not talking about when they are arming/disarming, but when the alarm is actually being set off.

truckerdirt said:
not sure what to tell ya. that was my only idea, since a lot of alarms flash the headlights when the are going off. i'm not talking about when they are arming/disarming, but when the alarm is actually being set off.

let me check again, it definitely strobes though

here's an update on the situation:
ok, heres the problem... when i turn my XJ off, the headlights turn on and won't turn off till 45 sec, then they strobe! the switch inside or something in the instrument panel makes a loud buzzing sound. anyone have any solutions? this is really annoying and i can't get it to stop unless i disconnect the lights at the bulb!

brandon
PS, this doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time

shimmy said:
here's an update on the situation:
ok, heres the problem... when i turn my XJ off, the headlights turn on and won't turn off till 45 sec, then they strobe! the switch inside or something in the instrument panel makes a loud buzzing sound. anyone have any solutions? this is really annoying and i can't get it to stop unless i disconnect the lights at the bulb!

brandon
PS, this doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time
Got an owner's manual? Read up on "Headlight Sentinal." XJs offered an option for night lighting while you walk from the vehicle to the house, called Headlight Sentinal (or Sentry). The way it is supposed to work is, if you turn off the headlights before switching off the ignition, the lights are off. If you switch off the ignition first, then switch off the lights, they are supposed to remain on for a short period of time (don't remember if it was 45 seconds or 1 minute, but in that range).

However, the headlights are not supposed to strobe after they turn off. If your XJ has Headlight Sentinal, is it possible that your alarm system is an aftermarket installation that isn't happy coexisting with the Headlight Sentinal? I believe the Headlight Sentinal is a plug-in module that attaches to the headlight switch between the switch and the vehicle wiring harness. If you can find the module, try removing it and see if the problem goes away.

Eagle said:
Got an owner's manual? Read up on "Headlight Sentinal." XJs offered an option for night lighting while you walk from the vehicle to the house, called Headlight Sentinal (or Sentry). The way it is supposed to work is, if you turn off the headlights before switching off the ignition, the lights are off. If you switch off the ignition first, then switch off the lights, they are supposed to remain on for a short period of time (don't remember if it was 45 seconds or 1 minute, but in that range).

However, the headlights are not supposed to strobe after they turn off. If your XJ has Headlight Sentinal, is it possible that your alarm system is an aftermarket installation that isn't happy coexisting with the Headlight Sentinal? I believe the Headlight Sentinal is a plug-in module that attaches to the headlight switch between the switch and the vehicle wiring harness. If you can find the module, try removing it and see if the problem goes away.

i'll try that, but why would this happen all of a sudden

Back