• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Axle Wrap w/ RE Springs

BrentNClemson

NAXJA Forum User
I have some pretty bad axle wrap w/ my RE 4.5" leafs and 2" shackles (SYE w/ no shims or blocks). The pinion bounces up and down pretty badly unless I reeeeallly ease the clutch into first gear. However, I only have this problem when the Jeep is cold...after running for about 5 minutes there's not even a hint of axle wrap. What would be the reason for this?

Also, I'll probably be trading the 2" shackle for a 3" AAL and shorter shackle pretty soon...would this help solve the axle wrap problem? Thanks guys.

Brent

Sounds like it isn't an axle wrap problem. Because of the heat thing I think it is your clutch. Clutch chatter from a glazed flywheel can feel a lot like spring wrap, and my clutch chatter always went away after things warmed up. Just an idea from a past experience with a vehicle that had the same symptoms you describe, hope you figure it out.

marcus

Marcus
You definitely could be right...it must have something to do w/ the clutch since it goes away after warming up. Did you end up changing just the flywheel or the clutch assembly also? I've never had to get in there and work on the clutch or surrounding parts before, but I sure could give it a shot... Thanks for the help!

Your shocks are mounted in such a way so as to help alleviate axle wrap. That is why they are mounted in front of and behind the axle and so far down. They are a minor player but you never know. Before starting your rig, go out and try to bounce he rear end. Do it later after you run a ways and see if there is a difference. A good shock should give you more damping when cold than when warm or about the same. If you feel them to be more firm after being run a little, they have a problem.

It's very easy to see if it is indeed axle wrap with the help of another person. Have them watch your pinion when you take off ... if it tips upward, it's axle wrap. If so, there are several good posts on the subject and how to correct it here using "Search".

There are several ways to correct axle wrap ... some have their drawbacks so research and decide what works best for you. I welded my axle tubes to the differential housing and built a ladder bar.

Les

You welded your axel tubes to the diff housing? What on earth for?
You know that its going to crack on the housing...
I dealt with axel wrap for some time...and looked into many solutions.
What I finaly did was get rid of my block (the #1 reason for axel wrap) and went to a full spring pack.
The problem is minor now...although a simple ladder with with an appropriate forward mount (needs to be able to swivel forward on compression) would be the cure all for it.
Search the threads...
Rick R

Jump This said:

Rick R

if you don't it will spin the tubes inside the housing. i seriously doubt you'll have enough torque to crack the housing.

Jump This ... yes I welded the tubes to the differential housing. It is recommended for the Explorer 8.8 axle ... as I have read.

Not really interested in debating you on the subject ...

Les

It's also recommended if you're going to stay with a D35 for whatever twisted reason.

BrentNClemson said:
Marcus
You definitely could be right...it must have something to do w/ the clutch since it goes away after warming up. Did you end up changing just the flywheel or the clutch assembly also? I've never had to get in there and work on the clutch or surrounding parts before, but I sure could give it a shot... Thanks for the help!

I was thinking it was the clutch because of the difference warmed up, but also because you said that the pinion was bouncing. Everyone has some axle wrap and the pinion will always move up a little when you take off. But for bouncing axle wrap, you have to spin a tire or something. Something must give to get the pinion bouncing up and down. Off road it is usually a spinning tire, on road, I would imagine it would be your clutch chattering. Make sense? So it is possible you still have a problem with axle wrap, but you shouldn't notice that on the road unless you are spinning a tire, OR unless your clutch is slipping.

I had a clutch spring break (didn't know till I opened it all up), which in turn let the clutch slip a little more and eventually glazed the flywheel (glazed and gave it some dark spots around it) due to the heat of the slipping. When cold, it felt like my rear axle was going to snap off as I let out the clutch to accelerate. My plan was to refinish the flywheel, but I ended up replacing the clutch also because of the springs. I also had an old bug that had this problem all the time, but it was due to a leaking main seal. Some oil would get on the flywheel and messed everything up, causing the same clutch jumping feeling in first gear. Don't know if the rear main on Cherokees would cause this problem, but thought I would throw it out. Good luck.

marcus

Jump This said:
Rick R

This is necessary for a D35 and for a Model 20, and I guess helps on an 8.8. Won't hurt anything at all. It keeps the center section from spinning on the tubes, which I've seen numerous times on the trail.

Goatman said:
... and I guess helps on an 8.8...

When researching info on the 8.8, it was noted these axles are welded at the factory using spot welds through holes in the differential housing. These have a tendency to fail on these axles causing the center section to spin on the tubes.

I installed 4.88's and Detroits in one of these axles ... thought this was a safe "preventive" thing to do.

Les

PS: I did not want this thread hijacked because of a "flame job" ... BrentNClemson, I hope you get your problem solved.

marcusguy said:
I was thinking it was the clutch because of the difference warmed up, but also because you said that the pinion was bouncing. Everyone has some axle wrap and the pinion will always move up a little when you take off. But for bouncing axle wrap, you have to spin a tire or something. Something must give to get the pinion bouncing up and down. Off road it is usually a spinning tire, on road, I would imagine it would be your clutch chattering. Make sense? So it is possible you still have a problem with axle wrap, but you shouldn't notice that on the road unless you are spinning a tire, OR unless your clutch is slipping.

I had a clutch spring break (didn't know till I opened it all up), which in turn let the clutch slip a little more and eventually glazed the flywheel (glazed and gave it some dark spots around it) due to the heat of the slipping. When cold, it felt like my rear axle was going to snap off as I let out the clutch to accelerate. My plan was to refinish the flywheel, but I ended up replacing the clutch also because of the springs. I also had an old bug that had this problem all the time, but it was due to a leaking main seal. Some oil would get on the flywheel and messed everything up, causing the same clutch jumping feeling in first gear. Don't know if the rear main on Cherokees would cause this problem, but thought I would throw it out. Good luck.

marcus

Definitely makes sense...I've suspected clutch problems for a while, but I guess the only way to tell is to look in there. Thanks a lot for the help, guys!
Brent
ps-no problem Les, thanks for the input!

Back