• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Hard to Shift

akorna

NAXJA Forum User
Hi -
I'm new to the forum and Jeepdom. recently purchased a well used (109K) '99 XJ 4.0 Auto 4X4. The transfer case (NV231) shifts easily from 2H to 4H - but I have a heck of a time getting to N or 4L - some real force needs to be applied, sometimes it works better if putting trans in neutral - and often hear a clunk or grind. Should I go through the linkage adjustment procedure, or am I ready for a rebuild/replacement.

Thanks for any replies!

I believe that fully stopped, trans in neutral is the proper place to be to shift into N and 4L. At least, that's what I do and I don't have any problems.

Of course, you can also try letting the truck roll slightly while in neutral - might help the synchronizers.

Also, if the previous owner never used 4L, that could possibly contribute to difficult shifting. Cycle in and out of low range a few times, and see if it starts to loosen a bit.

HTH,

Rob

OK, this is a long shot......but this happened to my 2000.

I had replaced the stock transfer case crossmember with ORGS crossmember with TX skid. While off road it would not shift into 4L. Back at camp lots of advice and speculation...but since it was a NAXJA event there was someone with the correct answer. When ORGS designed the crossmember they used the specs for an older (pre 96?) XJ and the transmount mounting holes are different. Had to get an older style trans mount, installed it and what a difference, shifted fine.

Now here's the long shot part...did the previous owner change transfer case crossmembers??? or is your trans mount broken??? Just a guess.

Good Luck,
Tom

Thanks for the feedback - nothing that drastic in my case - completely original drivetrain. I continued to work the lever and saturated all the linkage with silicone spray. I also shift more deliberately than cautiously now and the operation is acceptable - a vast improvement over where it was two weeks ago.

On my 90 the correct procedure is to slow down to less than 5 mph and put the transmission in neutral. Then you can shift into 4 low. You can pull the handle into 4 high and any legal driving speed according to the sticker and manual in mine. Make sure you are on slippery loose road surfaces when using 4wd, unless you have the 4wd full time option. I've also read here that worn transmission mounts will cause hard shifting as stated with the other post.

I've found that when the linkage gets stiff it can take about 40 cycles to get it limbered up again. EVery once in a while it helps to go out and just shift the lever back and forth way more times than you might think you need to.

Just thought I would throw out this bit of info, I had my console apart yesterday and the previous owner of my XJ lost a lot of change, a cupholder full. I spent almost an hour pulling coins out of the depression that your 4x4 lever is located. Many of the coins were severly bent from the effort it must have taken to shift into 4x4 when the coins caused a jam. Just thought I would suggest this, it's a simple problem to fix, but could be quite a hassle if it's overlooked.

Ryan

Silocone ??? Hmmm, it's use something a bit better like a good spray lube [not wd40 either], the other thing that will help shifting is to replace the normal atf in the transfer case with Mobil-1 ATF, that single change made my 98 shift between 2,4, 4Lo and N like greased lightning and as a precaution against the linkages getting rusty I do it at least once a week but I also have a weeping rear output seal on my TC so it keeps that area well lubricated :D to the tune of about 2oz every couple of months....

I think the manual says to put the tranny in nuetral and be moving at 2-3 mph. if ure not moving the gears wont be aligned and it will grind a bit....have you tried shifting while going slooww?? It should be pretty easy. I wouldnt think it would crapped out so soon. i have an 87 that has 150k and it shifts fine(as long as im moving)

98XJSport said:
Just thought I would throw out this bit of info, I had my console apart yesterday and the previous owner of my XJ lost a lot of change, a cupholder full. I spent almost an hour pulling coins out of the depression that your 4x4 lever is located. Many of the coins were severly bent from the effort it must have taken to shift into 4x4 when the coins caused a jam. Just thought I would suggest this, it's a simple problem to fix, but could be quite a hassle if it's overlooked.

Ryan

I just fished about a buck in nickels, dimes and pennies out of the mine. I even found 4 pennies that were either cut in half or bent to heck. There's still some in there but it shifts real easy now.

You'll need a long skinny slot screwdriver and some long and thin needle nose pilers.

I'd bet most everyone has some coins in their TC linkage.

I usually stop, shift the AW4 into neutral, tap the gas, and make the shift. By increasing the engine RPMs, it sometimes helps to align the gears. This just happens to work best on mine. Making sure your mounts are good, and the case has fluid in it. On mine the chain had streched due to the previous owner not checking that the case was nearly DRY!!!:mad: The good thing was, I found a good 231 with 40k from a wrecked TJ, and rebuilt it, and now its great.

ihscoutlover said:
By increasing the engine RPMs, it sometimes helps to align the gears.

uh, if the trany is in neutral, there is no torque being applied to the t/case. but if it helps i cant knock it..

Going through Neutral on the case requires me to be in neutral on the tranny. I am just explaining how mine works thats all.

Back