• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a gearing question from a newbie in that area

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i am currently running stock 3.55's and 31 on my xj. its not the best on hills and its fine. I borrowed a friends 33's and it was shawt!!!! so i took them off a week later and said forget it. I picked up 4.56's for my jeep hoping this would fix the problem. But a few differnt people i talked to said that my gas mileage and power will just get worse. So now im confsued if i will just more power and gas mileage?
just need to be filled on on the advantges of me putting the gears in i guess.
thanks

You hurt the gas mileage when you went to bigger tires without regearing. If you regear it will restore (or at least get you close) to what you had befor going to bigger tires, power will also improve.

Your power and gas mileage won't be quite back to what they were with the stock tires, because the larger tires are heavier and have greater rolling resistance. Nonetheless, after regearing the power and mileage with the larger tires will be WAAAAAAY better than before regearing.

dude eric,

seriously, don't even think about it and just do it. 31's-32's and 4.56's is perfect IMO. you'll gain power, not lose. as for fuel efficiency, i never even think about that sh!@#$t when it comes to changing gears and running bigger meats.

do it, or i'll kick your ass
brandon

ooooo, , my ass is scared....
but i will haev it done then. These were the same things i thought the gears would do as well.
thanks for the help!

Back