• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Poll

How water tight is your rig

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rngrfrd2000

NAXJA Forum User
I started out trying to keep it out, i sealed the holes and cracks but to no end...i would seal one and get 2 more..so after much trial and error i finally said i quit.
So now the xj has a rino lined floor and really big drain plugs...every where.

"Water runs out... just as fast as it runs in"

rngrfrd2000 said:
I started out trying to keep it out, i sealed the holes and cracks but to no end...i would seal one and get 2 more..so after much trial and error i finally said i quit.
So now the xj has a rino lined floor and really big drain plugs...every where.

"Water runs out... just as fast as it runs in"

Forget the water going in.... how well is your drivetrain and electrical sealed up? I'd worry about that first.

Jeeps are like submarines with screen doors. After sinking my old Jeep and having to replace the engine (and earning my screen neame), I generally stay away from the deep stuff. At 6" of lift with 35's, I'd have no business being in water so deep that it was able to get in that quickly anyway.

I used to be able to ford 3 foot deep crossings with current without anything more than a trickle or two on my '97. Get a little bit of flex with a rocky bottom and things got worse, but never any major intrusion. Jeep's a lot older now, and I'm sure it would be worse these days.

I ripped out my carpet in advance of durabaking it...best mod I've made in years. The pig doesn't stink like a pig any more.

Nay

Water comes in like Niagra Falls. No use trying to seal it up.

Get your intake up high, silicone the distributor, and put your vents lines into the cabin.

CRASH

Drain plugs are there for a reason, same one that the carpet can sort of be removed, I sort of removed mine forever, but it's easy to clean the thing out now ;-) I havent gotten my wimpy little rig wet al that often, but it didnt take long to figure out where the drains were.

I ripped out my carpet in advance of durabaking it...best mod I've made in years. The pig doesn't stink like a pig any more.

Nay[/QUOTE]

I Hurculined my interior black and Durabaked my ext red, smooth, uv. I got a gallon of the UV 18 smooth red for $55, normally it is $160+. There was a misprint on the co web and I made them pay for it literally, the stuff is great and looks good. I'll try to get some pics up, I'm not the best painter though, but this is my wheeler so who cares. I rolled, dabbed it on. I know spraying it on would look better and maybe easier too. This stuff took awhile to get on. I put 2 coats on in 1-1/2 days after sanding down the paint abit. I still have a quart left for touchups. The quart goes for $55 normally so I think I got the stuff for free at the regular price that is. :guitar:
Troy

Stein-

I'm doing the same thing with mine-- rough black inside, smooth red <most likely> outside.

Can't wait to see your pics..

With 31 inches to the bottom of the door frame I usually avoid anything much over 3 feet deep. The few times I have run deeper than 3 feet, had no water inside.
But did have to change all the fluids.

I've had water up to the back window. I dipped the front briefly below headlights, then the front came up and the back went in. I didn't get any water in the doors with water more than half way up. I did get water in the rear hatch. Water marks were over a foot on the things that were back there. When I leveled the rig out I instantly had 3 to 4 inches in the entire rig. She kept running and never sucked H2O in, but I won't do that again without a snorkel.

The carpet is out and staying out. My daily driver is fast becoming a seasoned trail rig. I also bent the crap out of a currie tie-rod on that trip. I must say that it took a lot of force to do that.

Greddy

its not carpet.. its a filter for the water that comes thru the floor's ventilation ducting... i went swimming real deep once, at nearly 6" of lift i dipped the leading edge of the hood underwater till the rear dropped in.. damn near didnt climbout!!!

mike

could be worse.. could be this guy...

mike

142633602zHLJaG_ph.jpg

I learned with my old CJ, that even the best waterproofing in the world ain't anygood whenthe water is deeper than the highest waterproof point. So now, I stay the h3ll out of water that is deeper than the lowest point on my rim. This seems to be the easiest/cheapest way to avoid drowning either me OR the Jeep. ( just not as fun :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back