• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to identify a h.o. engine?

It has it. Came out in 91. Isn't country package, that came out in 93 I think. Especially not if it is a Laredo. It will say 4.0 Litre High Output on tailgate.

sprinkler1228 said:
I'm looking at buying a 91 Laredo. How can I tell if it has a h.o. motor and if it has the country package?

Are you thinking of the upcountry suspension package vs the country edition?

You'll know by looking at the throttle body. They came out in 91, but some, like my buddy's 91, has the old style, non Hi output which you can't use the bored throttle bodies every one tries to sell.

Rob

sprinkler1228 said:
I'm looking at buying a 91 Laredo. How can I tell if it has a h.o. motor and if it has the country package?

The HO motor has a black valve cover and a larger TB that's held to the intake manifold by four bolts.
The Upcountry package includes skidplates for the engine, transfer case, and gas tank, tow hooks front & rear, heavy duty gas charged shocks, Trac lok limited slip differential, and 1" more ground clearance with spacers above the front coil springs.

The suspension lift is caused by stiffer spring rates, not a spacer. All XJ's have a 1/2" spring cushion. The dealers call it something strange in their part catalog.

Fred

Thanks for the info! This website is amazing! I had a 99 that got totaled in a roll over on the highway,so I'm not familiar with the older Laredo model. I looked at the rig yesterday and I'm gonna buy it. It just needs the usual cosmetic things i.e. headliner etc.It runs strong and has good pick up. Just had one more question though. What does the conformt transmission button do?

I don't think the HO engine has the transmission switch option. I have a 90 and 92. The comfort switch simply changes the rpm that the transmission changes gears. Comfort is lower setting then power. The idea is that you get better milage and the manual suggests using the power setting for towing.

Back